T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

cobraace
Around the block

Re: T500 Special Engine (Ported) Rebuild

Post by cobraace »

John you better put that up on v blocks and check to see how far out of true it is . A hit like that surely put out .
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

cobraace wrote:John you better put that up on v blocks and check to see how far out of true it is . A hit like that surely put out .
I did check it, I think it was done on the outward journey to the crank builder :up:
cobraace
Around the block

Post by cobraace »

Great :up:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Got the bottom end assembled. Premix all the way now! Pics of the oil pump housing blanking plate plugged injector holes and the feed in the transfer area. Also oil slingers removed on the crankshaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Moving forward :D Do you think I got the swing arm pivot as close as I could to the cs sprocket :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Got the clutch side all back together now moved over to the ignition/final drive side. Installed the ignition and came to put the oil seal and retaining plate back on the final drive shaft and I found this shim looking washer in the bottom off the box that had all the parts for this side in it. Not sure where it goes or if it should go on the clutch side somewhere???? it it the same size id as the final drive shaft.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Well I couldn't find where that washer went so as it was suggested to me that it might have been a shim to space out the counter sprocket a little more to add to the offset sprocket that I made. I checked the alignment and it is perfect so that must have been what is was for. Here is a pic of the offset sprocket that I made.
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Engine is all back together now just working on carbs. Going to set them up as follows;
vm34's
Main Jet - 260
Pilot Jet - 40
Needle Jet - Q2
Needle - 6FJ6
Needle clip position - Start in the middle
Slide Cutaway - 2.5

As suggested by Zunspec.
Just waiting for new needles and jet selection to arrive :)
Must not forget to put premix in the tank instead of straight gas :mrgreen: Any suggestions as to what ratio to run?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

32:1. Depends on the oil, but I like lots of oil in the mix.

In theory, richer oil mix makes for less gasoline drawn in and therefore a leaner air:fuel mixture but if you do the math you can see it's not a big issue. As always, start rich and work down. We run 280 - 320 on a TZ350 that runs hard, so keep an eye on that with 260's. We run 60 or 70 idle jet but your bike should have much higher gas velocity than ours at low revs, so a 40 might work.
Good to see that 'someone' suggested the place to fit that washer. :lol:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

tz375 wrote:32:1. Depends on the oil, but I like lots of oil in the mix.

In theory, richer oil mix makes for less gasoline drawn in and therefore a leaner air:fuel mixture but if you do the math you can see it's not a big issue. As always, start rich and work down. We run 280 - 320 on a TZ350 that runs hard, so keep an eye on that with 260's. We run 60 or 70 idle jet but your bike should have much higher gas velocity than ours at low revs, so a 40 might work.
Good to see that 'someone' suggested the place to fit that washer. :lol:
I might go with 45 pilot actually as I have some on hand.
I hope that someone was right about that washer placement :lol:
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi John.

Oil - I run 20:1 - 25:1 in my race engine.

Cheers Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Finally got the bike back together :) Hoping to fire it up tomorrow, first time on premix :up:
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

That is a great looking T500, John :up:

After putting a few heat cycles on the engine I would recommend a session at the dyno to tune Ign. timing and carburation. Start conservatively and bring it up from there.

Good luck

Geoff
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Thanks Geoff! Never done the dyno thing before but will look around to see what's local. I'm going to switch over to clip-ons seeing that it's mostly going to be ridden at the track. If I want high bars I'll ride the supermoto (love taking that to trackdays). Also have my acewell tacho to install.
When I raced twostrokes there was never a run in period. If we had to do an engine swap between races we would go out with a fresh engine and cane it straight away. I don't plan on running the 500 in either, hope thats a good plan :shock:
johnu
On the main road

Post by johnu »

Well I got around to firing the bike up today, started on the second kick :) Sounds way better than before but very woolly down low. Smoked like a chimney too. Fuel tap started leaking so I'll get that fixed and take it for a quick spin.

Geoff that 747 smells bloody good :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAjMbp ... load_owner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;