My T500 cafe

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Re: My T500 cafe

Post by sbaugz »

ordering up the upholstery today. Its made specifically for my seat. I had them use silver thread and I am having them orient the tuck and roll pattern from front to back instead of from left to right.

also ordered one pair of X-arc duo, dual filament LED lights. I was going back and forth about trying to sort out a brake light for this seat pan. The guys at Bedlam (who sold me the seat pan), suggested I check these out. They look like tiny little turn signals, but they have built in amber for turn signals, as well as dual brightness red output for running and brake lights. I will mount these on each side of the seat cowl using the threaded holes on the frame rails towards the back. I think it will make for a pretty clean install and I won't need to try and fit a taillight underneath the seat cowl in the back.

they are only 1.5" long and .875" diameter.

http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/XArc/index.asp

Finally, I am having the guy who made my oil tank make me up a custom license bracket. It will look something like this shown below. It will mount between upper shock mount on left of bike and the shock bolt.

I am on the home stretch now. Just need to finalize a few things, mock it all up one last time and get her off the paint and powder. Also waiting on the rearsets from Titan. Oh, and completely wire it up from scratch, which shouldn't be that big of a deal. I am not using a battery (not required using my powerdynamo ignition). Also no horn, no warning lights. Probably not going to use a speedo or tach either- (might change my mind on that one). Wasn't planning on using turn signals either, but now I will after ordering the lights shown above.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Those X-arc turn signals are a good find. :up:
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

jabcb wrote:Those X-arc turn signals are a good find. :up:
Just wish they weren't so dang expensive!
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

They look to be priced consistent with the rest of the market.

The are more “neato tech” than the good K&S LED turn signals and are more expensive than those.
I got the K&S LED turn signals for my GT550 cafe project & they were $88 per pair.

And they are around the same price as the really good aftermarket LED tail lights with integrated turn signals the are available for modern sport bikes.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

Small update today.

I got my upholstery from Bedlam Werks and it turned out pretty awesome. I took a little bit of a gamble and made the pleats vertical instead of the typical horizontal. I think that gamble paid off and it looks great (in my opinion).

I also got some early stages of wiring done and I also mounted up the controls and grips. I used a cheapo china made throttle assembly. It wouldn't clamp down tight against bars, so I drilled and tapped a M5 screw through the assembly and into the bars.

On the left bars, I used a POSH company switch mount. It mounts directly into bars using a tapped M4 thread to hold it in place and an approximately 1/2" hole for each of the two switches. One switch is turn signal and the other is a horn (in case I decide I need one in future).

I also ordered up an LED flasher, a new GT500 ignition switch, and a capacitor.

Only thing I am waiting on are rearsets from Titan so I can do a final mockup of everything before I send frame off to powder and the tins off to painter.

I still have to figure out a way to make a sidestand and centerstand stop so that they don't hit the chambers. I haven't decided if I will keep the sidestand, the centerstand or both.

sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

more pics

old t500
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by old t500 »

Lookin good!!!
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

I love the tank/ seat combo!
jsmith1107
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 Suzuki T500 Titan

Post by jsmith1107 »

You do great work! I just bought the tank and side covers/oil tank from you on Ebay---
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

jsmith1107 wrote:You do great work! I just bought the tank and side covers/oil tank from you on Ebay---
Welcome to the forum. And thanks for purchasing my spares.
jsmith1107
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 Suzuki T500 Titan

Post by jsmith1107 »

you probably said in an earlier post but what source did you use for your headers and exhaust?
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

wish I had something to report, but now I am in the waiting game with this build.

- dropped off the frame, oil tank, rear fender and swingarm at the powder coater to get the chrome powder finish. ETA is 10 days.

- I sand blasted the yamaha tank and noticed a couple small pin holes on the bottom. No leaks, but to be safe I dropped off at local welder to have them welded up. While there, I am having him weld on the petcock adaptor plates too. ETA is around 10 days. Once I get tank back, it goes to local bodyshop for sealer, then to my painter for paint

- waiting on rearsets from the UK

- waiting on backordered brake lamp/ turn signals

Hopefully everything starts to fall in line relatively soon. I have a couple shows that I want to enter the bike into. One is the first week of May, which is rapidly approaching.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

Small update.
Sand blasted tank and found several pinholes near left petcock. This surprised me because there really isn't any rust inside. I picked the tank up from a local salvage yard for pretty cheap. Looked great when I bought it. I never filled it up, assuming it wouldn't leak.

So. Took it to local welder who welded up visible pinholes and also welded the two petcock adapters in place. Now my 3/8" npt pingel petcocks both screw right into tank without any gaskets. Got the tank home, filled it up with cleaning solution and it still leaks from several other seams and pinholes that we didn't see in other areas. Finally said screw it and sealed the inside with caswell sealer. I've had good luck with this product. Finished that up yesterday. Now it's off to paint.

Powder coater still has all my other parts- frame, swinger, triples, rear fender, etc. Somehow his one week estimate turned into three weeks later and no parts yet. I Stopped in yesterday to check on status and they haven't even touched them yet.

The end is so close. Powder, paint, assembly and ride! Shooting for a bike show in early May.

sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

Also ordered up some decals for tank. Mine are white. I thought this was a cool Suzuki logo with rising sun background.

In addition, I also ordered up a battery eliminator capacitor from this place.

http://www.bat-pac.com

They seem pretty expensive on the website but I got mine from his eBay site for $32
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Did you upgrade to a modern rectifier/regulator?

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE