My T500 cafe

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Re: My T500 cafe

Post by sbaugz »

lostinsdf wrote:I just came across this post in search of info about a steering damper. Anyway, I read through and noticed no post since last June. How did the bike turn out? I was interested in using the LED dual lights on my T500. I have the Power Dynamo on my bike as well but with the battery but. The Power Dynamo web site does not recommend using Led lights. Did you? How did they work out? How did you wire in the capacitor (type of capacitor and location?) Lastly, any pictures of the finished bike?
Thanks for posting the progress.
Not sure what you mean about "no posts since last June". I have been posting updates all along, in fact I just posted a bunch of pictures a few days ago. The Bike isn't done yet, so I cannot comment on LED lights.

Capacitor I used was bat-pac. (I mentioned this on page 7). It's easy to install, you just ground the black wire from the capacitor. The red wire of the capacitor goes to the 12v output wire of the powerdynamo regulator
lostinsdf
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1969 T500

Post by lostinsdf »

Whoops! I got the dates all wrong. Thanks for the info about the capacitor.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

made some progress.
Got the new carb gaskets installed and no more leaks. Fired up the bike again and it seems to run pretty well. Still have to fine tune a little and adjust the clutch. When I put the bike in gear and held the clutch in, the bike still wanted to go, so clearly I have some clutch cable work to do.

Also have to mess with carbs, sync and adjust them. I started with 1.5 turns out on the needle. The idle screws don't seem to do much of anything when I adjusted them. Will have to read up more on the proper procedure.

The turn signals don't really want to blink all that well. They blink quickly. Its not the turn signal flasher - I tried that with the bike hooked up to a battery and they flash just fine. Must have something to do with my set up on the bike (no battery, capacitor and street version of powerdynamo ignition). I would love to hear input on this. Otherwise all the other lights work, including run, stop and headlight with the bike idling. I am not sure how much the capacitor is helping or not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to use one.

A short video of me starting the bike. I have started it about five times since the complete rebuild and it has started on the first kick every single time. I don't have a tachometer on the bike, so I would love to hear input on how it sounds idling from the experts here.

Couldn't figure out how to embed this video directly in here, so i provided some links below.

http://vid1043.photobucket.com/albums/b ... i640ch.mp4

old t500
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by old t500 »

Nice!!!!

Are the signals LEDs? Do they need the resistors to slow them down?
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

old t500 wrote:Nice!!!!

Are the signals LEDs? Do they need the resistors to slow them down?
They are LED signals. I'm using a LED flasher made for these signals but for some reason they are blinking too fast. I have a powerdynamo ignition, no battery and a capacitor. Powerdynamo warns you that LEDs might not work unless you use their "conditioner". Not sure what that does or why it's necessary since I'm using the proper flasher relay and a capacitor.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Interesting problem.

The Bat-Pac is 1” x 1” x 2.5” (size of aluminum case)
http://bat-pac.com

PowerDynamo sells a condenser, which is 35mm OD x 90mm & has a capacitance of 2200
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/parts/condenser.htm

So the capacitor in the Bat-Pac mush be a good bit smaller than what PowerDynamo is selling.

The PowerDynamo alternator is single phase — it produces big voltage swings.
The Bat-Pac may be just way too small for this application.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

Thanks to Ron here on the board, I got my new clutch basket today. Installed and ready to go.
Cruzin image friction plates are on their way as well. Last I checked this AM, they are with customs in New York, so hopefully they arrive later this week.
After that, the bike "should" be ready to ride.

Also had a long conversation with my painter yesterday. He is devoting this entire week to my bike in order to get it ready for the Brewtown Rumble Show in Milwaukee on sunday.

Some sketches below show the scheme.
In the first picture, I am going with the top tank sketch and the bottom tail sketch.
The second pic shows the tank and top as seen from top.

Bottom color will be charcoal metallic
top color will be an olive green metallic as seen in pic below
Stripe in between colors is metal flake silver
Vintage "S" logo and the number plate in the back will be an off-white metallic. He is handpainting all those logos- he refuses to use vinyl.
Hand pinstriping in between all the colors.
Should be pretty awesome, in my opinion. I was originally going to go with a more muted, plain scheme but he talked me into going over the top. He felt it would suit the chrome on the rest of the bike, which is already somewhat over the top. This painter does some pretty great work. He hand paints all the EBR (Erik Buell Racing) bikes, and has done one of the Indian Scout project bikes too.

old t500
On the street

Post by old t500 »

I am looking forward to seeing THAT finished product!!! Good on ya for going "big". Sounds like you've lined up a guy who cares too....and that, my friend, is priceless.

I am meeting with my painter tonight----smaller project though--it's just the tank. Colours that I'm rolling around in my head:
Some Dodge Ceramic Blue
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/atta ... 7fdadx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some satin black to tie in with fenders, oil tank, etc,

Maybe some pearl white
http://www.2040-motos.com/ducati/Superb ... ed--47181/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior to the Monster 796 I have now, I had a pearl white 848 for four years. That colour.....man....when the sun hits it!!!!

The major colours on mine so far are the engine etc chrome and black (glossy frame/swingarm; satin everywhere else). My mind's eye is thinking "not too outlandish", but looking forward to my painter stretching my "conservative comfort zone".
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

I always liked pearl white. If you like blue, you should check out ford grabber blue or BMW Estoril blue. Both are nice colors

Here's the grabber blue

And here's the bmw

sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

got a text from painter and he has been working hard on my bike.

started with a green metallic with a light silver flake and green candy over the top.

Then laid down some silver metal flake striping and a Charcoal metallic base on the rest of the tank.

Then finally laid down the pearl white suzuki logo and number plates. He says he will be sanding and buffing tomorrow. Then he will hand pinstripe in between all the stripes and around the logo and number plates. I think it looks pretty awesome so far.

old t500
On the street

Post by old t500 »

Holy crap man!!! That looks friggin' awesome. And it's not done yet.

You must be thrilled.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Wow, that is nice. :up:
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Classy.....and unusual.....it's going to look very good !
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

It looks even better in the metal than it does in the pictures. Had a chance to catch up with Steve at the Milwaukee outdoor custom show this afternoon. The bike looks great and it was also great to finally meet the owner and chat.

And there were more two strokes than usual:

T500 custom
T20 custom (very shiny but not sure if it is ever ridden
TC250 ratty but running
2 x RZ350s - both immaculate
2 - GT550s, one rebuilt and one on the street
3 Kawasaki triples
A Puch split single
and a Bultaco that I saw - may have been others. I'll post a picture of Steve's T500 later
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

Great meeting you as well. Its always nice to meet someone you have conversed with online for a while and put a face to that person.
The bike got lots of positive comments from people. I was pretty pleased with everything. No trophy, this time.

Things were down to the wire getting it ready for the show today. i was literally bolting a different oil pump on this morning. Never got a chance to start it. Some guys at the bike show talked me into starting it up at the end. It literally fired up on the first kick. I drove it away from the show and it drives real nice. I still ended up trailoring it home, but I look forward to getting it all dialed in this week.

I only wish it were sunny when I took that picture. The paint looks pretty awesome in the sun!