GT750 Dragbike FOR SALE

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

GT750 Dragbike FOR SALE

Post by water cooled »

http://supereliminator.myfastforum.org/ ... =4862#4862

This is the Bike that Bob Prior rode at Indy and Martin in 2014. It failed a big end rod bearing at Martin.
This is the package:
-Complete rolling chassis with a practically new rear slick, aluminum wheelie bar, 9000 lb. tensile 520 chain and new sprockets.
-The motor has '75 crankcases with '77 trans that has the good ratios and the '77 cylinder that I ported. It has the widest transfer ports ever carved into a GT750 cylinder. The stock transfers are the weak link in the GT750 motor. The ones in this cylinder are 2 mm wider than the motor I built in '76 that held the EE/G record at 9.47, 139 mph. The bore over the rod that failed at Martin will need some TLC, but might not need to be bored. Piston might be salvageable, too.
-New pipes that I built just before the Martin race to match my cylinder porting.
-Complete Krober self-generating ignition
-A spare set of really nice '77 crank cases
-One Flannery cylinder like Kevin Hutchinson's. It's blown up and will need to be sleeved in one cylinder if you want to use it.
- One Flannery squish band head. Again, it went through a blow up and will need to be massaged.
-The stock head that was on the motor at Martin.
-An RC battery (and a spare) to run the shift light and air shifter. A charger for the RC batteries.
-Pistons are Wisecos, 71 mm.
-Remote 12 volt cooling pump and reservoir.

The crank will have to be rebuilt. The package also includes a whole tote full of spare parts including crank parts. PM me for more pics or with questions.
Total package: $2500

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1802985/P1050786.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 Dragbike FOR SALE

Post by tz375 »

That is a killer price. To get a set of barrels and pipes and carbs alone would cost that much, so would the lightweight frame.

All it needs is a crank and time to rebuild it. It was built by a championship winning engine builder who really knows those motors.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

I agree. If I didnt have two kids in college right now, I probably would have bought it and done the repairs. Its pretty straight forward. Engine comes apart, crank goes to Bill Bune and the block goes off to either Bune or Millenium Technologies depending upon the damage. Same for the head. May need one Wisco RH piston.

http://www.mt-llc.com/cylservice.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.billbune.com/services.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For about $750-850 in repairs and the price of the bike, someone could be making a challenge to the National Records by Spring. Fortino believes that motor setup could eclipse his old records which established an unofficial best of 9.38 sec. No GT750 has ever been close to that in any chassis configuration. Dave Derrick made the frame and Ive seen it up close. Its quality workmanship.
Last edited by water cooled on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I may have to buy it and rebuild it, but I already have 4 gt750 projects in the shop and I'm not sure that any of us live long enough to do that many GTs.

The crank will need one rod and one pin and bearing and I may have found some better (lighter and silver plated) big end bearings but I need to confirm that. Having seen the inside secrets and knowing how that magic was performed, I agree that the motor in that bike has the potential to do better than any GT750 in history in the 1/4 mile. Get some custom big bore pistons and it should be possible to push the H2's out of the books in the larger engine class they run. :shock:

I'm wondering if it wouldn't look even better with a tank shell and dummy headlamp. :roll:

The only shame was that it died on Bob after all that time and travel and cash and all the work that RF put into the rebuild after Indy. It just needs a rebuild and enough runs to chase out the bugs.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by water cooled »

R, I agree...

I wouldn't even spend time on custom crank parts or bearings. That crank is bullet-proof and those stock cage bearings have a long history of reliability. I think the big-end bearing failed from some shrapnel that got missed after Indy. Fortino thinks the crank seal also failed and drew transmission oil into the area.

Bune could fix that crank, balance the rods, replace the big-end bearing and install new seals for a few hundred dollars.

I spoke with Rob Miller about that motor this weekend. He is also convinced that Fortino's motor is better than the one he built in 76. I think Fortino would love to see someone knowledgeable and dedicate enough to put that bike on the track and in the record books.

I also agree a shell tank and headlight would look great on that bike.

Id ask Fortino if he would accept terms to spread the payment out....you might be surprised.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

" I think Fortino would love to see someone knowledgeable and dedicate enough to put that bike on the track and in the record books."

We should start looking for that person. I think that Suzuki Dave might be the right man to put that in the books. You notice that he has enough sense to not get sucked in so far. Let's see if we can change that... :lol:

What it really needs is a small guy like Kevin or skinny like Alex to keep the weight down.

My problem is that I'd want to move the front end back a few inches and then I'd want to fit titanium and alloy parts and light axles and so on and I'd be even more broke than I already am. :(

I think we could save a few ounces with a different swingarm design too.....

Maybe a laydown frame and compete head to head with Baxter and invest a small fortune in electronics and get an in house dyno and.... Where can I buy a lottery ticket?

Or just rebuild it and put is straight into the record books. Maybe that would be a better idea. And cheap too. I couldn't build that bike for 5 times that price.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

tz375 wrote: I think that Suzuki Dave might be the right man to put that in the books. You notice that he has enough sense to not get sucked in so far. Let's see if we can change that... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get the faster i was
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I wish it was a bit closer to here.
Not that I haven't enough to do already, what with THIS LOT and all the other stuff I have 'in process'.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
old racer
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 GT750L GT750 DRAG seelyt500 tr500MK3

Post by old racer »

I wish :)
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

water cooled wrote:http://supereliminator.myfastforum.org/ ... =4862#4862

This is the Bike that Bob Prior rode at Indy and Martin in 2014. It failed a big end rod bearing at Martin.
This is the package:
-Complete rolling chassis with a practically new rear slick, aluminum wheelie bar, 9000 lb. tensile 520 chain and new sprockets.
-The motor has '75 crankcases with '77 trans that has the good ratios and the '77 cylinder that I ported. It has the widest transfer ports ever carved into a GT750 cylinder. The stock transfers are the weak link in the GT750 motor. The ones in this cylinder are 2 mm wider than the motor I built in '76 that held the EE/G record at 9.47, 139 mph. The bore over the rod that failed at Martin will need some TLC, but might not need to be bored. Piston might be salvageable, too.
-New pipes that I built just before the Martin race to match my cylinder porting.
-Complete Krober self-generating ignition
-A spare set of really nice '77 crank cases
-One Flannery cylinder like Kevin Hutchinson's. It's blown up and will need to be sleeved in one cylinder if you want to use it.
- One Flannery squish band head. Again, it went through a blow up and will need to be massaged.
-The stock head that was on the motor at Martin.
-An RC battery (and a spare) to run the shift light and air shifter. A charger for the RC batteries.
-Pistons are Wisecos, 71 mm.
-Remote 12 volt cooling pump and reservoir.

The crank will have to be rebuilt. The package also includes a whole tote full of spare parts including crank parts. PM me for more pics or with questions.
Total package: $2500

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1802985/P1050786.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it was me I`d fix the Flannery top end
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Dave,
Did you manage to get any runs in on that bike when you built it? If so what sort of times did you manage with the Flannery barrels heads and pipes?
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

Richard, I went a best of 10.51@115 popping and farting all the way down the track....... the extremely limiting factor was the stock points ignition........
I rode the bike thru the pits after Fortino put the Krober ignition on it.............it was a completely different animal.....
My personal opinion is that Kevin`s combination makes more than enough power to beat the 9.38 GT record, the bike needs a winter trip to Michigan for a diet plan to realize this........
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

D&D CHASSIS wrote:Richard, I went a best of 10.51@115 popping and farting all the way down the track.......
:shock: :wth: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, how did the bike go? :wink:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

A week or two back I had a great drive up to northern Michigan to spend a couple of hours with Richard Fortino who built that latest motor and who has been responsible for more outright records than I care to mention with GT750 based drag bikes. That was really good to chat to him and get a sense of the story and of his past achievements.

Back in the day (mid to late seventies, his motors were not just fastest two strokes but fastest bikes in the class period. These guys were setting records and winning championships.

In the end, we filled the car with a pile of interesting super secret motor pipes and pipes and all I can tell you is that those guys know their stuff. Really nice porting job.

Fortunately I took the car and not the truck so there was no way I could take the rolling chassis home, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go back if I had a few spare dollars to "invest". I think I'll bolt these bits onto a Pro-Stock or Pro-street or whatever it's called bike and go scare myself some more. But first I have three other bikes to build to absorb and then generate some cash.

I guess I should crate up those cranks and get them out for rebuild before the snow flies. No rest for the wicked as they say.
D&D CHASSIS
Around the block

Post by D&D CHASSIS »

[quote="tz375"]

Fortunately I took the car and not the truck so there was no way I could take the rolling chassis home, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go back if I had a few spare dollars to "invest". I think I'll bolt these bits onto a Pro-Stock or Pro-street or whatever it's called bike and go scare myself some more. But first I have three other bikes to build to absorb and then generate some cash.

I think the term your looking for is vintage Pro-Stock..........and you know where to drop that chassis off to for some upgrades........