Project 2smoke a 73 GT750 getting a few "updates"

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Weirdbeard1000
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TL1000R, GSXR1000, GT750K

Re: Project 2smoke a 73 GT750 getting a few "updates"

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

It's been a little bit but I finally got to do some work on the GT today. I went into my job to make some parts for the rear wheel conversion. First I turned a 12" tube down for wheel spacers. It's 25mm ID and 32mm OD. I'll have to part it off to the correct lengths as I figure out what they are.

Once I was finished with that, I moved on to making new chain adjuster blocks that fit a 25mm axle. As I said in an earlier post the bearings I got to adapt the wheel to the suzuki 28mm axle just weren't gonna hold up. So I decided to convert the swing arm to a 25mm axle. After a little searching I found the length of a factory Aprilia axle. It's 318.5mm long. Just a hair too short to use on the TL arm. So where can I find 15mm that previously didn't exist? Make the chain adjuster blocks thinner! Took about 1/2 an hour of number crunching and another 20 min to program the cnc mill and here's what I came up with.

The ID is 25mm and there is a protrusion with a 28mm OD that will fit in the oval hole in the TL arm so there is minimal vertical play in the 25mm axle. The flat side will be facing out. The thickness of the flat part of both pieces together is almost 15mm thinner that the thickness of both factory adjuster blocks together. This time I think I finally have the rear wheel situation solved! Just have to wait for the Aprilia axle to show up in the mail.

During all the time I haven't been working in the bike, I've been thinking about how I want to paint it. At first I was thinking factory style paint job, but as I started looking around I found a few paint jobs I really like. Here's a few in no particular order. Feel free to share your opinions if there's one you love or one you hate.

1. This is a bad picture but you've all seen this one I'm sure. This is certainly my favorite of the stock paint options.

2. I really like the colors in this one. It's on a CB750 tank but you get the idea.

3. Another CB but damn is that a good lookin combo. Not sold on the number plate/headlight combo but it's certainly different.

4. This one might be my favorite. Only thing I'd change is the gold leafing wouldn't have that rainbow effect on it and it'd be engine turned with black or maybe white edging. Also the rat rod pin striping would have to go. Otherwise I love the green metalflake.

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

I went back in forth in my mind for a couple of months between a Candy Gold and a Burnt Orange. I honestly don't feel I would have been nearly as happy with any other colors other than the choice I made. Downside, it was extremely expensive for me and for what ever reasons if you ever put a nick on a Candy paint job. There's no fixing it to blemish or hide it. It will always remain obvious, unless you completely redo the tank. I'd show you pictures of my paint job. But, I receive notices that attachments for this thread has met quota.
Image Image
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

You can still add picture you just have to use the IMG box above the reply section .
the older i get the faster i was
Weirdbeard1000
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TL1000R, GSXR1000, GT750K

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

Sorry I know it's been a while, I got swamped for a while with other peoples bikes... But I finally had a weekend where the lift was clear and got to put in some hours on the GT, and a productive weekend it was! I now have the front end totally sorted out. All I need is a fender and the appropriate length braided brake line.

I made this spacer for the brake rotor today.

It started off as a 6x6x1/2" piece of 7075 aluminum. First I drilled the bolt circles for the rotor to attach to the spacer then for the spacer to attach to the hub.

Then an hour or two of milling it to shape, I was gong to post a short video but photobucket isn't agreeing with me tonight.

Here's a few pics of it installed. You can also see the spacers I turned to center the wheel in the forks.

And here is the nicely aligned brake rotor in the caliper. SUCCESS!!

It felt nice to check a few more things off the very long list of fab work. I'm a few more steps closer to breaking it all down for paint, powder coat, anodizing, and maybe a little chrome.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Any progress to report?
seviston
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100, GS1000S Katana

Post by seviston »

I am liking the work done here.