Project 2smoke a 73 GT750 getting a few "updates"

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Weirdbeard1000
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TL1000R, GSXR1000, GT750K

Project 2smoke a 73 GT750 getting a few "updates"

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

I guess I should start a build thread now that I'm well underway. Back in February I bought this gem of a '73.

It's pretty ugly but it's ALL there except for the front brakes. I'll have to get a pic next time I'm at my workshop but someone actually cut the master cylinder off of its mount. I've never seen anything like it.

My original plan was for a complete restoration but after really looking at the bike and poking around I decided that cosmetically it was too far gone to try to restore like new so custom it is...

I also have a 2000 TL1000R that has a billion miles and a few crashes on it. While looking at the two of them sitting on my screen porch as the snow was falling I decided to make two bikes into one. So the GT will be receiving most of the Suspention from the TL. I have plans for a future project using the TL v twin but that's a story for another time.

As I've been tearing down the bike I've been bagging all the hardware and labeling it for future use.

A few dollars spent at http://www.mcmaster.comwent a long way to keeping all the small parts inline.

One of the first surprises I found was the radiator. On the outside it looks great. Not a fin out of place, no signs of leaking. Once I got it removed I found this...

I guess that's what happens when a bike sits from the mid 70's Till now. I've taken the radiator to the local old school radiator shop. It's the kind of place that'd rather re-core a unit than sell you a new one. I have high hopes when I get it back it'll be as good as new.

Next up was carbs. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the PO had actually drained all the fuel out of the bike before parking it. With very little work they cleaned up like new,

The only real work I had to do was helicoil the drain plug on the left carb. I did notice that the jetting was strange, the left and center carbs had 102.5 mains in them and the right had a 100. It's been my experience that on triples it's usually the center cylinder that's different. Is my arrangement correct or is it possible that someone put the wrong carb in the wrong spigot at some point?

A few more afternoons of disassembly and cataloging brings me to my current state of being ready to start mocking up TL parts on the GT chassis. With any luck I'll be bringing the TL to the shop tomorrow to start breaking it down so it's ready to give up some parts.

I'll be updating this thread as the project moves forward. If the final product is half as cool as what I envision it's gonna be a baaaad waterbuffalo!
Weirdbeard1000
Around the block

Re: Project 2smoke a 73 GT750 getting a few "updates"

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

I rode the donor bike over to the shop this morning. I realized on the ride that it was going to be the last time it will ever be ridden as a complete bike. :cry: This bike and I have a long history together. Tens of thousands of miles, at least ten states, and it tried to kill me twice. I gotta say it's bittersweet. But once I'm smoking down the road it'll be worth it! Moving forward....

My 2000 Suzuki TL1000R.

kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Post by kettle kid »

Nice to see another old bike, getting a new lease of life... Looks like a K model? Keep the photos coming.. :up:
Weirdbeard1000
Around the block

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

I put in a solid 8 hours today in the shop... Made a lot of progress. I got the whole donor bike torn down, bagged and tagged. Then got the GT back up on the lift and pulled the forks and triples. I would have gotten the TL front end fitted but I couldn't find my gear puller to press the old bottom race off the stem. :evil:

Anyway. Here's some pics I shot during the day.

There is so much wire in this bike. It's outta hand!

I started doing some figuring and trying to get an idea of how it's gonna look

This thing is gonna look pretty damn cool when it comes together.

I wish I had time tomorrow to go over and crank some more on it, but life gets in the way...

Does anyone have a used set of expansion chambers that they're looking to get rid of? It looks so good all stripped down I don't want to put the stock stuff back on anymore. I don't really care what brand they are. I just want 3 into 3's they can be rusty or dis colored I'd just prefer they weren't all dented up. PM me if you have what I'm looking for!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That swingarm and those forks will more or less drop straight on.

Swingarm in upside down just to see what it looks like

and then the normal way round.

Weirdbeard1000
Around the block

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

Well that's encouraging!

How about chain alignment? That's what has me worried. I haven't seen a lot of offset front sprockets available for GT's. There's plenty for CB750's out there. Any suggestions on where to look? I'd rather not destroy a carbide end mill trying to bore the center out of one sprocket and the teeth off another to weld them up and make one.

Another question while my mind is still racing on the subject, what'd you do for swing arm bearings? From the pics it's hard to tell which axle you used. My thought was to find a bearing with the appropriate OD for the TL arm and the appropriate ID for the GT axle/pivot. The other thought was to turn some sleeves on the lathe and use the factory TL bearings, but I'm not such a huge fan of that.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

This project has my interest.....I've owned both bikes involved.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I think that the axle I used was from a TL. It came in the pile of parts I bought, but it may have been an RF600R part.

I drilled the right side of the frame and then used an adjustable reamer to get it to the right size. On the left side, I drilled it out and then tapped it to the same thread as the (shorter) TL axle. So it bolts into the frame without a nut.

Chain Alignment is going to be an issue for sure. I have a GSXR600 rear wheel which runs a 185 rear and not the wider 190 on the fatter rim. And teh sprocket carrier has been machined, so I'm hoping to not need to go too far with sprocket offset. I think the H2 sprocket fits and they are available with offset.

But if you use that spoked rim, it's anyone's guess what the final dimensions will be.
Weirdbeard1000
Around the block

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

That spoked rim is from an Aprilia SXV550 it only takes a 180. It's a 5.5" rim and the hub is a bit more narrow than the TL as hit has no Cush Drive. I'll have to get it mocked up and see where things fall. Do you have a build thread on here? I tried looking but you have so many posts I couldn't find it LOL. I really want to stick with the spokes for the look. At first glance I don't want it to be obvious that there's work done. But we shall see....
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

No build threads for any of my bikes. I have too many on the go at once to focus on telling the story as well. :shock: :roll: :wink:
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

tz375 wrote:No build threads for any of my bikes. I have too many on the go at once to focus on telling the story as well. :shock: :roll: :wink:
You had a bit of a build post on the Trakka viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Richard , i was hopeing to see reeds mounted up to this project engine :(
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That could still happen on one of the three projects I'm working on. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Weirdbeard1000
Around the block

Post by Weirdbeard1000 »

Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://omarsdtr.com/Ex750suz.html

The price is right. I think I'd still rather have 3 into 3's but I'm not looking to race this thing... Just ride it.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Weirdbeard1000 wrote: I would have gotten the TL front end fitted but I couldn't find my gear puller to press the old bottom race off the stem. :evil:
If the TL stem has taper bearings why not convert the GT over to the taper ?