Suzuki Two-Stroke Message Board
Suzuki2Strokes.com
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: GT250 Cafe project
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:15 am 
Expert racer

Bikes owned: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S
Looking great. As for the carbs; I would suggest fitting new ones but keep the old ones. If you sell the bike you can give them to the new owner. That way you have the best of both worlds!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 am 
On the street

Bikes owned: 1974 GT250L, DR650, Honda CRF1000
So close......yet, so far away...

Chrome won't be till February at best - and lots of other bits in January (am away for work most of that month).

There might be a go slow on for a bit.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:48 am 
On the street

My little sand blaster is average at best - thought that I should start with condensate management first.

My air compressor is nicely tucked away in a relatively sound proof room, in a corner under a bench - hence I almost never drain the tank - solution......fit an auto drain valve......about $30 from eBay....

Works well - a considerable amount of water draining from it in Brisbane's sweaty +30 deg heat. There are two user adjustments, length of blow-downs and time between blow-downs. Set mine for 5 sec every 10 min.

My little blaster is the typical syphon tube style gun indicative to the cheap Chinese cabinets. Its frustrating with the stop start nature of the blasting media.

After many hours of Goggle research the best option would be fitting a metering valve (it introduces air into blasting media through a controlled orifice or valve). I ended up making a DIY version from 1 1/4" galvanized fittings but I don't think that I really saved much compared to buying the eBay versions for about $100.

Thought I would have another go at the walnut shells - still no luck - I think that they need a higher pressure and flow than my compressor can support.

As the system now uses a foot valve rather than the hand trigger, it's more comfortable - no more numb hand but as the gun and hose set up is larger, my little cabinet gets cramped.....if only my shed was bigger......never enough space!!!!!!

So I loaded up with FINE glass beads time to attacked my carbies!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 am 
On the street

Mikunioz delivery arrived Monday - good service and knowledgeable.

With the fine glass bead and running at about 50 psi I ended up with a slightly shiny surface, free from stains. Not as good as Vapour Blasting but not too far off it. Down side is cleaning afterwards - just when you think that you have it all clean out pops another lump of grit.

New main jet, pilot jet, Needle (Suzuki supplied), needle and seat, base gasket, floatbowl screws and O rings (Viton grab kits).

Rather happy with the way they turned out - especially considering the condition beforehand!