TR500 replica build

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

ChrisK
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 race, GSXR400 race

Re: TR500 replica build

Post by ChrisK »

Thanks Geoff, that's a neat little calculator. This motor is stock (apart from some porting mods) so I'm OK with the 26 degrees, however on the paperwork from Borut he has pencilled in a recommended static angle of 35 - 40. The SA gets programmed into the black box anyway so I assume the software does a calculation to somehow correlate that with the advance settings curve which may mean that whatever the static angle, you end up at the same place? All smoke and mirrors to me, I was raised on points where you could see what's going on!
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

WooHoo, we have smoke! Turns out it was timing after all. it took me a while to get my head around this Zeeltronic system. Hoping to get it on track next weekend for a shakedown run before it goes in the crate for the Island Classic.

http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... 3bkvnm.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, helping me here is long time TT rider Dave Goodley (best of 5th in the Senior in '95) and Irish RR stalwart Trevor Keys (250) who both live in Perth now.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Nice one Chris, sounds sweet 8)

BTW were you interested in my straight cut primaries/basket assy? I have another chap interested in buying it to complete his race engine build.

Good luck at the Island Classic.

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Zunspec4 wrote:Nice one Chris, sounds sweet 8)

BTW were you interested in my straight cut primaries/basket assy? I have another chap interested in buying it to complete his race engine build.

Good luck at the Island Classic.

Cheers Geoff
Thanks Geoff. I ended up scoring one from Steve Baugz that didn't need any mods, so with the tight timeframe I thought it best to go that route, so let yours go to the other guy.
Cheers
Chris
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Turned its first wheel on the track today! Still lots of fine tuning to be done but at least it runs and stops and sort of goes around corners (loads of front end chatter going into corners pushing it wide).

http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh ... inhqwd.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Post by sbaugz »

Sweet!
MikeD
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT750

Post by MikeD »

congrats, big milestone
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Excellent!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Well, done Chris. Excellent.

How did she go?

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Zunspec4 wrote:Well, done Chris. Excellent.

How did she go?

Cheers Geoff
Thanks Geoff. It falls off the pipe pretty quick but this motor is just a throw together one that has basic TR500 spec porting. The hot motor is still some way away yet (unfortunately). Once up on the pipe it doesn't pull too badly. We started it with very conservative ignition timing and jetting and I'm also running some premix as well as the pump for extra insurance in the break in stages.
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Well, stage 1 of the project is finished and tonight we loaded her into a trailer for the long jouney across the Nullabor to Phillip Island for the Island Classic next weekend. Just running with a conservative stock TR500 spec motor this time as the "good motor" just could not be finished within the timeframe. Not expecting miracles!

Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Good luck Chris,

If you can't beat them down the straight just out brake them into the corners :D

The bike is looking very good :up:

Cheers Geoff
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

How did you go Chris. I couldn't find a link to the results in-line.

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Bit of an expensive disaster actually, Geoff! Had so many bike issues to deal with over the weekend that I really couldn't get in a good run. We only finished one session over the whole weekend. Some stupid little things like a fuse box that shook the fuses to bits, a battery that didn't charge properly (because of the fuse), an ignition coil lead coming off, a plug that got some foreign matter in the gap and finally, we think, a holed piston.
We started off with one side smoking like crazy and running hotter than the other (we never did get to the bottom of that). The front end was evil, trying to chatter its way across the track in corners unless you had the power on which doesn't instill a great deal of confidence! I tried a different profile front tyre, different ride heights but nothing changed. Might get rid of one of the discs to see if less weight helps.
When it DID run, it pulled pretty well for a mild motor and sounded sweet.
Anyway, when it arrives back in WA we'll pull it down and do some analysis and start again!
Will put up some photos when I get to it.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

That is a shame, Chris :(

Nothing like actual time on track to reveal the teething problems unfortunately. My 34mm engine has now run for a couple of hours on the dyno so I expect it to behave (fingers crossed) but still have to get the chassis changes dialled in. I am aiming for an ACU test day at Brands Hatch on the 18th March, first race at Pembrey is 10 days later so I hope it does not expose any major problems. Prior to that I am getting it noise tested at my local circuit (Castle Combe) during one of their track days. No point in turning up to Brands if it can't make 105dB(A) :lol:

Cheers Geoff