1973 Suzuki T500 Restoration

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

greasepencil
On the street

1973 Suzuki T500 Restoration

Post by greasepencil »

Hello all,

I figure I'd start a restoration thread on here, as winter is coming up and I'll need something to keep me sane. I haven't done much except some tidying up, cleaning and riding. I installed some really nice used headlamp ears today along with some new case screws from rimfirecycle.

Needs a good going through...not a bad start at all really.
low mileage example...will be keeping the gauges as it's somewhat a badge of honor to run that long.
new to the bike headlight ears
and this grille emblem came off my old mustang...seemed fitting, a cobra on a sort of cobra, it's to help me more easily distinguish my bike from the others at barber's this weekend

Thanks,
Dan
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: 1973 Suzuki T500 Restoration

Post by MikeH1A »

Hi Dan, Welcome along. The T500 is a nice bike to restore and ride. Looks like you have an excellent starting point there - certainly much better than the state of mine when I started working on her :up: . Good luck with the resto and keep the pics coming.

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
greasepencil
On the street

Post by greasepencil »

Thanks Mike, I am going to disassemble to the frame, powdercoat (if I can find someone who can make a repro head stock decal), all the original black stuff, new seat cover, new spokes with a hub polish, new tires and tubes, new emblems and get my buddy to respray the bodywork the cornado blue and ride it another 40k miles. I had a black 68' cobra, but Eric Kalamaya ended up with it...not going to let this one get away, it's tons of fun to ride, geared tall...has a 4.50 rear on it currently...needs to be jetted up, it's far too lean. But it will be fun to build, and even more fun to ride when done!
wvc
To the on ramp

Post by wvc »

Reproduction headstock decals, (aka vin tags), for the T500 are available from a couple sources. One being Tyler Tech in Australia. http://www.tylertech.com.au/id39.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
76 GT500 - restoration project in work
4 other 76 GT500's
1.5 GT550's
4 GT380's
5 T500's (72-75 models)
4 GT750's

Suzuki GT hoarder...and a bad case of OBD.....(old bike disease)
greasepencil
On the street

Post by greasepencil »

wvc wrote:Reproduction headstock decals, (aka vin tags), for the T500 are available from a couple sources. One being Tyler Tech in Australia. http://www.tylertech.com.au/id39.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
]

Thank You! :up: :D That's exactly what I've been looking for, mine is the USA style T500 headstock decal, so it's the big and long style.

Thanks,
Dan
greasepencil
On the street

Post by greasepencil »

Thought I'd post up an update on what's going on with the resto, I ordered a repro head stock decal from tylertech in Australia, and picked up some turn signals from the local scrapyard, but only one correct rear, the other has a wire through the stalk, not allowing me to use it, others are part number 35600 while the odd one is 35700, maybe it's earlier? I picked up a headlight shell, although numbers incorrect, it fits the light and is in much better shape than the s273 bucket.

Thanks,
Dan