Tank Sealing Prep - a hard lesson learned!

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

RING_DING
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750 B-4 (JDM), 1975 GT750M

Tank Sealing Prep - a hard lesson learned!

Post by RING_DING »

Just thought I would share my little disaster with you all, so hopefully anyone tackling this won't make the mistake I made. So unbeknownst to me there were several pinholes in the top of the tank hiding underneath the paint so I did not spot them before I threw a pint of acetone in to the tank. After draining, I left the tank upside down in the sun to dry out and the acetone leaked out through the holes and stripped a large section of paint off. I read in another post (after the fact of course!) that condensation building up on the top surface inside the tank can cause these pin holes to form. I would love to get the tank repainted sometime (it wasn't in great shape to begin with), but I am not sure I will be able to match the color which I think was unique to the Japanese market models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 Suzuki GT750K with Sidecar - Bonneville 2020
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Re: Tank Sealing Prep - a hard lesson learned!

Post by two-stroke-brit »

thanks for posting that, i have two tanks to do and would have made the same mistake.
:up:
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

RING_DING wrote:I would love to get the tank repainted sometime (it wasn't in great shape to begin with), but I am not sure I will be able to match the color which I think was unique to the Japanese market models.
That was a bit of bad luck for sure, but better you found out now rather than later. :? For the colour match, many quality automotive paint supply places have the scanners to check a sample and then formulate a match - they can then provide it to you in tins for you or your painter to spray, or in aerosol cans so you can spray bomb it your self. And as far as I've been able to determine, that colour (#738, Olive Green Metallic) was only used on the 1974 'B4' and 1975 'B5' Japanese local market GT750's. It also does not seem to have been used on other Suzuki models exported elsewhere either, although it may have been used on other local market models 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
RING_DING
To the on ramp

Post by RING_DING »

Thanks for that info Ian. I might try contacting Ken at KNK Cycles to see if he could do it. Looks like he does a good job judging by the pics on his website.
RING_DING
To the on ramp

Post by RING_DING »

Just finished the tank sealing with the Caswell compound yesterday. I found some helpful tips here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-cl ... r-how.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did not wrap the tank in Clingwrap as they suggested, but I did put duct tape over the pinholes.
The really fun part was rolling the tank around slowly to spread the compound. I felt like I was doing Tai Chi in the driveway.....got some strange looks from the neighbors!
I kept a clock nearby to keep an eye on the time as it does harden fairly quickly after about 30 minutes or so.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

It is an interesting process ! I wrote about my try at it here.

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/gt750/g ... #october_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main thing I noticed was how temperature sensitive it was - warmer was definitely better ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !