Plating parts - worth the effort?

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Plating parts - worth the effort?

Post by Fritz500 »

I have been reading up on DYI zinc plating vs cadmium plating kits (as well as electroless nickel plating) and was wondering have forum members done any of this themselves and what are the recommendations?

I'll get some of the aged chrome done by professionals despite the scary costs.

I've got at least two (perhaps 3) bikes to restore so it seems it could make sense to do it myself if the final product comes out as good as NOS finish (as I remember it). Cost (within reason) isn't a huge factor.

Thanks
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
Wingspan
On the main road

Re: Plating parts - worth the effort?

Post by Wingspan »

I've got the Eastwood plating kit. It's very easy to use and produces a nice finish. Don't expect a chrome finish, but it looks good.

Fritz500
To the on ramp

Post by Fritz500 »

Wingspan,
Wow that looks good. Is that zinc plating? I assume polishing the part before plating gives a better finish. Does it take a post plating polish too?

Cheers
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
Wingspan
On the main road

Post by Wingspan »

Fritz500 wrote:Wingspan,
Wow that looks good. Is that zinc plating? I assume polishing the part before plating gives a better finish. Does it take a post plating polish too?

Cheers
It's a tin-zinc alloy plating. This is the kit I use:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-electroplati ... -zinc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parts you see in the pic were beadblasted, cleaned, then plated. After plating I just used a small wire brush to remove the gray residue that covers the pieces after plating. A hand polish brightens them up further. The instructions say not to machine polish parts. My guess is the plating isn't strong enough to handle a buffer. I have not tried polishing parts prior to plating, but I'd assume that would increase the quality of the finish.
Fritz500
To the on ramp

Post by Fritz500 »

Wingspan,
I'll shop around for an Australian supplier who does that sort of kit but I'm sure it'll cost way more than that stuff.

Cheers
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A