Switch Restoration Paint and question

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Switch Restoration Paint and question

Post by kettle kid »

I have just done 2 handel bar switches for a buddy, with a, gt750.. 72 J. Could any one tell me what suzuki it from? As i have looked on a parts book, and that's not the switch that's in the book! As it has an Orange pass button!

I added some extra colour, in places (white ) and not just orange! As asked for by buddy. And a good clean in side/dust durt/cob webs/rust/ and then regressed and some repair! Could it be from the early gt750 R? frame number 12554 (1st of march uk bike) See below....

H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: Switch Restoration Paint and question

Post by H2RICK »

A "Pass" button for the headlight high beam is typically found on bikes for the European and/or Japanese home markets. Those control assemblies you have there are exceedingly rare in North America.
The bike may have been shipped here by accident back in the day, or...
maybe a military guy returning from service in Japan or Europe brought it back with him, or......maybe it has been imported from Europe in the not too distant past.
If only these bikes could talk..... :wink:
Some of our Euro board members may be able to shed more light on this subject.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

As I replied on the UK board where this was also posted, I was wondering whether it was a switch off a Patroller model ? 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
stevethom
Still in the Driveway

Post by stevethom »

Just joined the group and noticed the query. Better late than never.
The switchblock was used on all J models for markets other than the US and maybe Canada.
The US ones had the headlight switch mounted on top.
The story goes that US would not allow the light on/off to be above the indicators due to the risk of turning off the lights when trying to move the indicator switch.
Generall the 12xxx framed bikes came to Australia I have seen many of them here. Again the story goes that the Australia Summer + bike sale time is just after the model year release in August, thus the early numbered bikes seem to come to Australia Hope this helps !!
Steve
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

The 12000 frames were also brought to NZ. Mine is early 12s and my mates is a 100 later. They both have the pass button on them - though it is not a convention we have ever implemented here. I remember first encountering this practice of flashing lights when going to pass when on my OE in Britain. I'm sure that NZ and OZ were too small markets to think about different switch blocks so we got what was standard elsewhere.

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

stevethom wrote:The switchblock was used on all J models for markets other than the US and maybe Canada.
Steve/Mike - It would be nice to get this nailed down as I would like to update The Guide and as yet have not met with much success. What I'd really like is to track down a parts listing for the J and possibly K pass button. Finding, for example a UK parts listing for a J has drawn a complete blank and the only one I have found starts with the M. The pass button wasn't offered in Japan - at least it isn't listed in the Japanese parts manual I've been checking - or for General Export, or for the USA or Canada. The only potential candidate I have found was a specific 57800-31910 left switch used on a couple of the Patrol models - both J and K - but I suspect it was just a standard switch that was unpainted, rather than being black.

If anyone happens to stumble upon a J parts manual specific to the UK, Australia, or NZ I'd be pleased to hear from them ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Ian, I've just had a look through my parts catalogues and cannot find a specific reference to the switch with the pass button. My first catalogue is for the J model only and it features a switch with the horn at the bottom of the block. My second catalogue is for the J and K models. In the main section, it too features the block with only the horn button. It then goes on to list variations for different countries (France, Africa, Sweden, Switzerland and West Germany) plus two variations of the Patrol version (one being for Formosa!) - none of which seem to feature the pass button. Some of the blocks look different (? J versus K models) but no sight of a pass button anywhere.

Don't you just love a good mystery :? :? :lol:

Mike

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
kettle kid
On the main road

Post by kettle kid »

Hello ian,
I stripped down one of those left hand switches,( refurbed 2 now) with the orange pass button, and there not unpainted, there is a flat section behind that orange button.(orange plastic is the whole thing) I will post some photo's for you guy's tomorrow. It has 3 contacts behind the button. It pickes up the live feed, from the main beam, to power it. :up:
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Just checked with one of the other buffalo owners in my classic jap group. He owns frame #157xx and this also has the pass button on the switch block.

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
kettle kid
On the main road

Post by kettle kid »

Hi guy's. I had a look in my photo's and found out more on the switch! it has a number on the bottom 577-4 If that's somthing to do with the part number? We must get to the bottom of this switch one day?
stevethom
Still in the Driveway

Post by stevethom »

This is the original switch block that was on the NON US bikes, All GT750J's came to Australia with this block.
Since you say this is a genuine UK delivered bike then they must have gone to the UK as well.
All US delivered bike seem to have been delivered with the light on/off on top of the block rater than the face.
I have it on advice that US compliance felt it possible to turn the lights off while using the indicators which does happen.
Steve T (australia)