gt750 engine removal

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Nah Richard, I'm not worried about the oil, I drain it out as much as possible and then dump a bunch of sawdust under the spot and "let er rip" its no big deal, I just clean it up afterwards.
It also helps if you have a little "oil area" to do this in.
Seems like after enough time my entire garage floor will be come and oil area - lol
So many Projects - So little time
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

markj wrote:Seems like after enough time my entire garage floor will be come and oil area - lol
I find it does help keep the dust down ! :D :D 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
markj wrote:Seems like after enough time my entire garage floor will be come and oil area - lol
I find it does help keep the dust down ! :D :D 8)
I knew there had to be an upside somewhere. 8)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I read somewhere that old used oil is about the top of the list of carcinogens.

Not sure how true that is, but I don't want to take the risk. old oil does not belong on my floor or bench or in the air - as much as anyone can avoid it that is.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

tz375 wrote:I read somewhere that old used oil is about the top of the list of carcinogens.

Not sure how true that is, but I don't want to take the risk. old oil does not belong on my floor or bench or in the air - as much as anyone can avoid it that is.
Which is one reason for all the :D in my post ! having said that, per a Quaker State MSDS sheet, continuous contact with used motor oil has caused skin cancer in laboratory animal tests. Avoid prolonged contact. Wash skin with soap and water. Launder or discard soiled clothing . I underlined the key part. So I will try to avoid bathing in it but as I'm not a full time mechanic, I also will not lose too much sleep over it - I suspect other things will get me first ! 8)
Ian

markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
tz375 wrote:I read somewhere that old used oil is about the top of the list of carcinogens.

Which is one reason for all the :D in my post ! having said that, per a Quaker State MSDS sheet, continuous contact with used motor oil has caused skin cancer in laboratory animal tests. Avoid prolonged contact. Wash skin with soap and water. Launder or discard soiled clothing . I underlined the key part. So I will try to avoid bathing in it but as I'm not a full time mechanic, I also will not lose too much sleep over it - I suspect other things will get me first ! 8)
Me too. Being a little cheeky about that since no matter how I try I can't seem keep the occasional spill from getting on my new garage floor. lol. I try but I'm kind of a spaz.

On the serious side I always try to wear .15 mil disposable gloves to keep all this stuff off my hands. In my younger days it was just part of the process but as I get older I get more concerned about my skin.
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

By the way I did pull the engine tonight. Putting the bike on it's side stand and getting the hoist just above center did the trick and the motor came out easily. I'm not sure I'd do this to put it back in but it was fine for removal. I won't have worry about the install for a while. I noticed a strong smell of fuel from the gearbox oil when I drained it. I hadn't decided on splitting the cases but it looks like I might as well.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

markj wrote:By the way I did pull the engine tonight. Putting the bike on it's side stand and getting the hoist just above center did the trick and the motor came out easily. I'm not sure I'd do this to put it back in but it was fine for removal. I won't have worry about the install for a while. I noticed a strong smell of fuel from the gearbox oil when I drained it. I hadn't decided on splitting the cases but it looks like I might as well.
Sounds like you lifted the engine out of the frame ? What I and others do (Dave had a thread on here previously with photos somewhere - just can't find it) is actually lift the frame off of the engine - and for re-installation, with the engine on its side you just lower the frame onto the engine. With the forks and swing arm off, the frame is one hell of a lot lighter and easier to manage by one person than the engine ! 8)
Ian

markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Thanks Ian. I think that'll be the route I take to install it after it's been rebuilt. I came out easily but I don't think I'd chance scuffing a freshly polished, painted engine on the hoist.