I have an idea

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

I have an idea

Post by Coyote »

Can't you smell the wood burning?
This pertains basically to the GT550 and the GT380. Both have raised white lettering on the gage housing face. One for gear position and the other for nuetral. After time and neglect, the white lettering wears or weathers away. These letters are raised ever so slightly (.5mm close as I can check.) How to paint them white again?
I have an old gage set and all the white lettering is gone. So here is my idea. I plan the make a tiny paint roller out of a pencil eraser and a paper clip. Spray white paint into a small jar lid and let it set up for a while (not runny). Then when the paint starts getting tacky, run the mini roller through it and on to the raised letters.
I think this will work. I'm gonna give it a try! I'll take some photos as I go and post the results.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Stranger things have happened. You have a good track record with gauge lenses...go for it!!!

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Sounds like a good idea Chris.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

First set of gauges I did, in a galaxy far far away I used Letraset sheet of letters. I also hvae touched up letters with a 000 paint brush from my local model shop - The ones I used to use to paint the pilot's face in those 1/72 model airplanes.

See what you "local" model shop has or look on line.
Triplerocky
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380m, gt380a, ts400b

Post by Triplerocky »

tz375 wrote:First set of gauges I did, in a galaxy far far away I used Letraset sheet of letters. I also hvae touched up letters with a 000 paint brush from my local model shop - The ones I used to use to paint the pilot's face in those 1/72 model airplanes.

See what you "local" model shop has or look on line.
Strange, seems that most of us are/were modelers, especially airplanes modelers....I suspect we were fascinated by "beautiful and complicated" things, then we tried to replicate them in scale since the real ones were unaffordable, then again, 'cause we can't "directly" drive the "things ", we jumped on this old SOBs which are beautiful, still needs the modeler's care, can be easily enough dismantled, wrenched, repaired, etc.; consequently we got a very personal nice thing that can be rided, make noise and smoke more than a model airplane :D
Sorry if analisys isn't right enough....but my English is the real limit, take it as joke :roll:
'75 GT380M
'77 GT380B
'77 TS400B
('74 GT380 is gone at 2300 euros)
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

models

Post by rbond »

You are quite correct! I use to build models like a factory, I counted at one time slightly over 300 built, mostly aircraft, some ships, cars, motorcycles, etc. I still remember masking the glass panes on a German FW-189 observation plane. Google for it and you will see that nose was all plexiglass. In 1/72nd scale no less!!! Cutting the framework of each glass panel took a long time and my eyes hurt from the long time concentrating. How I miss those days!!!! I still have 10 models to assemble, most are 30 years old still in the box. HMMMM, they are about the same age as my GT500, is there something here about '30'? :wink: :wink:
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I built so many models over the years i lost count, from planes, ships, cars, bikes and even construction equipment.
I still have a stockpile of models i keep adding to every now and then to eventually build one day as an old man, hey im nearly there now,LOL.
The detail work and painting is always the worse part because you strive to get it perfect if youre a dedicated modeller.
I'd have to say though, the most technical build i ever did is my .60 size X-cell R/C helicopter.
Its got to be fully assembled from the kit and be 100% straight, true and trimmed correctly to be able to fly properly.
Anyone who has ever done the ritual of centre point balancing and opposed balancing a set of rotor blades will see its a very technical task in itself.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Triplerocky
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380m, gt380a, ts400b

Post by Triplerocky »

no need to Google for the Focke Wulf 189...is it the double engine nacelles? Maybe the Lockheed P-38's little brother?
Perspex like a diamond...almost the same of the Caproni Ca.311 :D

'75 GT380M
'77 GT380B
'77 TS400B
('74 GT380 is gone at 2300 euros)
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

FW-189

Post by rbond »

The nose was actually more ball shaped than the Caproni, all the framing was in square shape, easier to manufacture and assemble. (the real airplane) Twin tails like a P-38 with two inline engines. I don't know if they were M-B diesels or not.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Woah, this was too easy! I don't see all that good anymore and when I studied it under extreme magnification, I discovered the lettering is actually recessed. I simply painted in the lettering and wiped off all excess with a paper towel moistened with lacquer thinner. I used my fore fimger so it would be radiused and not go down in the recesses.
The plastics did not appear to be affected at all by the thinner. The plastic (lighted area) and the housing on this ancient console spent too many years in the elements. The plastic actually became porous. So much so that I couldn't get it 100% clean.
But that's OK because the one I really want to fix is in the backround of the second pic. It's missing some of the paint but nothing like THIS POS. I cleaned the area to be painted with plain old isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and an old tooth brush.
Anyone can do this. It was a piece o' cake and took all of about 10 minutes.

Before

After
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

You'd also be surprised what a little spray urethane varnish will do to bleached black plastic.
Its like wetting it with water, it suddenly returns all nice and black as if it was nearly new.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Hey, I just noticed this topic. Nice work, Coyote, but......
plain old isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
Sorry, but rubbing alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are two DIFFERENT liquids and are usually NOT interchangeable when it comes to cleaning and painting.
You typically should NOT use rubbing alcohol for prepping any surface prior to painting. Why is this, you ask ?? Because rubbing alcohol can contain as much as 30% by volume of oils and other adulterants making it suitable for its intended use. When the alcohol evaporates, you are left with a skim of oil on the surface....which makes painting on any surface impossible.
Isopropyl, OTOH, is medicinally pure ethyl alcohol with NO adulterants. That's why many pharmacists now keep it behind the counter and also check you over to make sure you're not a substance abuser. In fact, the last time I needed some, the pharmacist had to order it in from the central drug storehouse our provincial government has set up to prevent certain drugs from falling into the wrong hands.
You're welcome, I'm sure.

As to the lettering thing: For some reason, my 550A DOES have the raised lettering rather than the depressed style. No, I have no idea when they made the changeover.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer