‘73 GT550K Ignition coil ground

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

SClubSuzuki
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki A50, S32 Olympian

‘73 GT550K Ignition coil ground

Post by SClubSuzuki »

Hello! Doing some ignition troubleshooting on the old bike and want to make sure I’m not missing anything. There’s a ground wire coming from the ignition coil bracket that mounts to the cylinder head shroud. This shroud seems to be isolated from the engine in that there’s rubber grommets for each bolt or screw. Can you tell me where the actual ground contact is made?

Thanks,
Chris
SClubSuzuki
On the street

Re: ‘73 GT550K Ignition coil ground

Post by SClubSuzuki »

It suddenly occurred to me that this wire may have been added in at some point after the ignition coil ground had failed. Just a guess because it makes no sense to have a separate wire, the coils bracket bolts directly to the frame and would provide an excellent ground in normal circumstances. Thoughts anyone?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

It depends if the 'grounds' on the frame were cleaned after painting.
For instance, I run a 'daisy chain' from battery to frame, solenoid, indicator relay, reg, rectifier etc to help the situation and extra connections in the headlamp bowl help too. If they are done neatly, they look as if they should be there anyway. The frame to ram air cowl wire was to stop getting a shock off the cowl if an original metal plug cap went faulty (during heavy rain, for instance, even though they were the first thing binned back in the day) as the cowl is rubber mounted.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
SClubSuzuki
On the street

Post by SClubSuzuki »

Alan H wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:13 am It depends if the 'grounds' on the frame were cleaned after painting.
For instance, I run a 'daisy chain' from battery to frame, solenoid, indicator relay, reg, rectifier etc to help the situation and extra connections in the headlamp bowl help too. If they are done neatly, they look as if they should be there anyway. The frame to ram air cowl wire was to stop getting a shock off the cowl if an original metal plug cap went faulty (during heavy rain, for instance, even though they were the first thing binned back in the day) as the cowl is rubber mounted.
Thanks for your reply Alan!

Chris
SClubSuzuki
On the street

Post by SClubSuzuki »

I got spark! From all 3 plugs! It’s amazing what cleaning all electrical contacts does, especially the points, thanks!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Good news.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.