Gt185 removing stator from crank

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Ponds
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt125/185 SV650X S1000rr

Re: Gt185 removing stator from crank

Post by Ponds »

Problem solved. I picked up a huge haul of parts (thanks DD) and now have plenty to rebuild the engine. That pesky rotor was still a problem though as the ‘new’ engine didn’t have one fitted. There was an old one but it looked a bit battered around and I knew the original one worked, so it had to come off the ruined crank. A quick visit from my local mobile suzuki expert revealed that the thread in the end was a left hand thread....no wonder nothing would engage! Once the right bolt was in place, a quick spin up with a hefty drill and it was free! FREE!
I do know and have had problems before with this many years ago, (late’70’s?) in that some of the cranks/generators work but don’t match. Many years ago I destroyed a crank in a 185 through ham fisted oil pump adjustment. It ran dry and seized needing a new crank and reborn/pistons. It was done by somebody else but the commutator never matched the brushes! They hung on and it ran fine, but never charged. I think I ran that bike for a year with a spare battery bungeed to the rear seat....
Luckily this new Frankenstein all matches up, so onto the rebuild using the best of what I have.
So onto my next question! I picked up what look to be a brand new set of jugs, they look mint, and I can only see some mild honing marks on the bores. The threads on the exhaust ports look unused. Again, thanks DD! So I have 2 choices, either just reuse the original jugs and pistons provided on this second engine, but there is some mild scoring on the rhs, or get the brand new jugs rebored (seems a shame) to fit the +1 new piston kits I have (once again, thanks DD :-) )
I’m tempted to rebore the brand new bores but what a waste....
Ponds
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt125/185 SV650X S1000rr

Post by Ponds »

Double post...ignore!
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

pleasure doing business with you mate :D why not take the pistons out of the engine i sold you and put them in the good barrels [jugs are either breasts or filled with beer]. they are both standard afaik and i'm sure i put new rings etc on that engine. just give them a polish and they'll be good to go. left hand thread? that's a new one on me, all mine have been right handers. why would they put a left hand thread on something that spins anticlockwise? looks like somebody has drilled and tapped it, because it should be an m10 fine right hander :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.