'New' aquisition. Suzuki T200 Invader.

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

'New' aquisition. Suzuki T200 Invader.

Post by Alan H »

From 'over there' so a real Invader!! 1967 US import, pity I don't have any details of the original owner(s), but heyho....

Lovely little thing innit? Just been up and down the street on it today, lots of crud coming out of the pipes, so it looks like it has done a lot of garage running and not much else for quite some time.
I'm looking for a left side T20/250 handlebar switch block with lights and indicator switches on it as there aren't any indicators on the bike and I do like then for safety! I'm also looking for either 'new' lever perches or individual mirror clamps for the 'bars, so that I can fit a pair of mirrors. That should make it non-standard enough to annoy the purists anyway.
I think it'll just get a good dose of fettling and not restored to any degree, as they're only original once - and the paintwork has been done anyway.
There's an issue with the wiring too, Terry (last owner) did mention that it ran nice when the lights were on, but only on one pot (right) when the lights were switched off. I think it's just a bad connection somewhere on the ignition circuit and 'shouldn't' be too difficult to sort.
The ignition/light switch connects extra charge coils from alternator to rectifier when in the 'lights' position, but the battery voltage doesn't alter even though the lights do get brighter, so that'll be the first job. Might just be a case of all connections stripped and remade. Whistle see.
It's a lovely little thing and quite quick on the street. Looking forward to getting out on it when it's registered.
(Although I do have a spare rear number plate off one of the insured and registered 550s 'in case of road test emergency' requirements.)
Not that I would do such a thing, of course..........

Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: 'New' aquisition. Suzuki T200 Invader.

Post by karl pa »

Great bike :clap: I love the early styling
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

More details here - http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 17&t=11559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and I liked it so much, I bought a TS200 as well. Pics there too.
Lovely little things, with a surprising amount of chuckability and performance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Post by Flywheel »

Both are sweet machines Alan. Nice finds. Sub 250cc machines imo don't get the love as their bigger cc brethren, but are just as fun to own and ride.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

That's a delicious piece of design work.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, the Invader had wiring issues, eventually sorted with a new wiring harness - which wasn't 100% correct as some of the connectors that should have been female were male, and vice versa. I suppose it's the way of the world now, that sort of thing......... :?
A new ebay special rectifier sorted the charging issue and all is now well in the electrickery department.
I was going to strip and refurb the rectifier, but 'correct' diodes are a tenner apiece and this -
rectifier.jpg
- was just under £2. It's out of sight and rated at 15A, so a no brainer which one was getting fitted.
Changed the brake and clutch perches so that I can fit 'standard' Suzuki mirrors and still looking for a 'correct' light/indicator switch so I can fit period indicators for safety!! Sent all the stuff away just over a week ago to get the bike registered and rang up the Gov't agency today that deals with that sort of thing, to check progress.

Spoke to a nice lady at the DVLA today (after 3 minutes of useless 'press this number', 'press that number') and another seemingly age waiting, that the T200 is registered and the docs were sent out last Friday. As they must have got them the Friday before, very quick service, so full marks for that bit.
However (there's always a 'however' isn't there?) they can't tell me what the registration number because of data protection.
I said 'But it's my data, and I promise not to tell anyone'.
'No, sorry, we can't do it so as to keep your information secure' said the very welsh voice. 'Is there anything else?'
I said 'no thankyou' and hung up. Image
WTF is wrong with people who work in government departments?
I nearly said 'organisations', but that would imply being organised I suppose.
My head hurts and there's a dent in the wall now. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Perhaps we should all cover our number plates while we ride, for data protection.... :? I mean, surely if it is not acceptable for you to know your own number plate, it must be even worse for other people to know it! :shock:
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Haha Sporton you've got it 100%
Trouble is, in this neck of the woods you'd probably get pinged an $800 fine for 'Not displaying a current number plate'
(There's NO ESCAPE!)
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Sweet bikes! The high pipe versions of those early bikes are better looking. Congrats on finding bikes that nice.

A service bulletin deals with daytime charging problems on the T250/T350. It may also apply to your bike.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techb ... mpress.pdf

Best bet is to install a modern rectifier/regulator & connect the alternator for full output all of the time. You can then switch to a modern sealed battery or AGM, and protect that nice chrome from the dreaded battery acid marks. Plus your light bulbs should last longer.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Fitted a modern 4 diode rectifier plus a wiring harness to the T, and all seems well now. I'll keep an eye on the TS, but if it don't need mending, I'll leave it be. With a couple of LED bulbs and no indicators (yet) there should be plenty of daytime charge capacity there.
Thanks for the link though, I hadn't seen that one before.