Gear lever won't go beyond 2nd

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Gear lever won't go beyond 2nd

Post by Ramjam »

Dear All
Apologies if i have posted ths before to Ian and the team but it's been so long since i have logged in or indeed looked at the 380

Now i have time on my hands and an underground garage. So i want to have a crack at fixing the gear shift. If any members have the patience to explain what i have to do to rectify the fault, I would be very grateful. My competence level is not as a fanatical mechanic but then neither just a fiddler. I did actually rebuild the engine originally in the kitchen of a tiny appartment just shortly after the wife left me and moved in with her mother. I has the entire engine stripped down on all the kitchen surfaces a couple of weeks later, for the wife to turn up, see the kitchen and throw her arms in the air banging on about me "never changing" etc,

Well, the engine rebuild was a good one i think. But a few months after, the gear level select problem started so maybe i was clumsy about replacing everything. Im hoping its a circlip which has popped off. but the summers' here so i want to make it scream again and fill the Lebanese mountains with beautiful blue two stroke smoke.

please help if you can

best

martin in lebanon
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Gear lever won't go beyond 2nd

Post by sportston »

Ramjam wrote:I did actually rebuild the engine originally in the kitchen of a tiny appartment just shortly after the wife left me and moved in with her mother. I has the entire engine stripped down on all the kitchen surfaces a couple of weeks later, for the wife to turn up, see the kitchen and throw her arms in the air banging on about me "never changing" etc,
Ah women! Why do they never understand the finer points of getting ones's priorities right? Woman out, engine in. Its only logical. Kitchen work surfaces were invented for this purpose, otherwise why would they make them so easy to wipe the grease and engine oil off? Perhaps you should have tried to explain that putting motorcycle engines on the kitchen surfaces is a handy weight loss aid. If there is no room to make dinner, surely you will eat less!
With regard to your gearbox mechanical woes, could it be related to a broken selector fork? Sorry to say but you will most likely need to split the casings to find out the cause for sure.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

yeah, that marriage was never going to work.

Is there a possibility of, on the right hand side of case (with the clutch) that the gear selector has lost a circlip, as its got no springiness at all in it.

I can't face openning the cases again. it will jus remind me of my first wife.

MJ
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Sounds like a broken return spring. On the gear change shaft behind the clutch, there is a hairpin spring. It may have come off the short locating bolt if the circlip locating the shaft has slipped, or the spring broke.

It's easy to get to. Remove the clutch cover (after draining the oil) and see what's going on. You may have to remove the clutch to repair it depending on what's wrong.

Didn't we talk about this a year or two back?
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

yes, im terribly sorry getting you to repeat everything.

Now that you've said that, i might have a look at the weekend.

But why couldn't i just tip the bike at a 45 degree angle and then keep all the gearbox oil?

thanks

martin
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I did that last year in a moment of complete brain fade and when I removed the gear shift shaft, all the oil poured out on the floor. Drain the gearbox and minimize the mess. The new oil will cost less than all the costs related to cleaning the floor. :oops: :lol:

Maybe you are more adept at balancing a bike on its side while removing a clutch than I am, but I'd just take the easy (safe) way.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

i was hoping not to remove the shaft, but i'll take your advice and drain it

"Brain fade". Very good.

MJ
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

Alright, so i have the side off and the clutch off and i have seen that you were right about the spring. It has freed itself, the little *****. How dare it make a bid for independence.

Anyway, I can't work out where the two arms of the spring are supposed to go.

Also, in my washing up bowel of parts i see a very, very thin washer which is not entirely flat. Sorry guys, but where did it come from ?

thanks

Martin in Beirut
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The legs of that spring go either side of the steel peg.

Can you post a picture of that mystery washer and dimensions and maybe someone can identify it.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

that's a bit worrying as that was the first thing i did. Can you be more specific? Which leg goes where, in other words?

Hang on. Aha, i see. You're talking about the second shaft, not the one on the back of that lever with the teeth?

thanks for you speeedy reply. Much appreciated

M
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

thanks again. Managed to sort is quite easily. Here's the washer which is the mystery now

https://imgur.com/a/r40Yv9y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

I believe it is part 51 in the following pic
part no. 09164-17002
I'm fairly sure it isn't supposed to be flat, so don't try hammering it out.
It should go between the circlip on the end of the drive shaft and the kick-start driven gear.
this is your image. You need to right click the image and copy image address then insert it in the middle of the IMG enclosed in brackets if you wish to put a pic in your post
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

P.S. Won't your wife kill you for wearing your wedding ring while working on the bike? :lol:
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

Yep, that's it sportston, right part number you gave but ref.# 53 and measures 17 x 30 x 1.0 https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Suzuki-71- ... r=1&_rdt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

sportston wrote:P.S. Won't your wife kill you for wearing your wedding ring while working on the bike? :lol:
Second wife? Naaaagh, she's a sweetie. But she'll never get on the 380. Have enough trouble getting her on thr bandit