My first GT 550 - i love it

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

tato81
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550

Re: My first GT 550 - i love it

Post by tato81 »

Bobf wrote:Hi Tato - I have a NOS starter clutch part that your photos are showing as damaged. Happy to post it to you or put it on Ebay - my bike's clutch is the later one and I spent some time accumulating a few parts before stripping the engine to find which type it was, so it is surplus to requirements

Bob
I send you PM.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Hmmmmm. :roll:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Indy650
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '74 GT250

Post by Indy650 »

Are the cylinders nikasil? I thought they were cast?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

L to B models destined for Europe were nykasil or SCEM plated and different ports
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

I recently found out there were some with schneurle ports (same as scem barrels) but with liners so they could be bored. Just fitted some 1mm oversize to a 550B and runs really nice.
Supposedly used in Germany? I will be inquiring regards these for more info.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tato81
Around the block

Post by tato81 »

Indy650 wrote:Are the cylinders nikasil? I thought they were cast?
Yes, they are nikasil. My cylinders are flying to Japan, they will have Nikasil (scem) put in Japan. :D I have a friend who has been a motorcycle mechanic in Japan for seven years.

Guys, I got a part of the starter clutch. Thank you very much Bobf.
A new part, look:
but I still need gear clutch starter :(
tato81
Around the block

Post by tato81 »

Is there a difference between 12620-34003 and 12620-34004? Can I use 12620-34004 if I had 12620-34003. Bulletin GT-26 does not say anything about it.

Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Alan H wrote:I recently found out there were some with schneurle ports (same as scem barrels) but with liners so they could be bored. Just fitted some 1mm oversize to a 550B and runs really nice.
Supposedly used in Germany? I will be inquiring regards these for more info.
http://www.pjme.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are the people who do them.

I've just fitted a set to a friend's late 550 and so far so good - very quiet too. http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 517#p87517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 16&t=11248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if anyone is bored.......
Bobf
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 TC185

Post by Bobf »

If it helps, my parts book for the J,K and L models shows 12620-34003 as the correct part number for the early clutch

Bob
tato81
Around the block

Post by tato81 »

They are the same. The only difference is that there are 2 oil grooves on the new one. The clutch basket is identical. One guy says, it was Suzuki trying to solve a design flaw by modifying it and eventually scrapping it and changing to Borg Warner.

Bobf
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 TC185

Post by Bobf »

I'd use the new one, then, and you should be "good to go". Use a high quality synthetic or semi-synthetic motorcycle oil (for wet clutches) in the gearbox and it should last much better than "back in the day" - you may have no problems with it at all.
tato81
Around the block

Post by tato81 »

Bobf wrote:...Use a high quality synthetic or semi-synthetic motorcycle oil (for wet clutches) in the gearbox and it should last much better than "back in the day" - you may have no problems with it at all...
I think so too :up:
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Usually, semi and especially full synthetic oils will just make the clutch slip on engines designed for 'old style' mineral oils.
Just use a decent oil as specc'ed in the original Suzuki manual - 'a good quality SAE 20w40 multigrade transmission oil is to be used'.
As 20w40 was fairly uncommon back in 1972 when I got my first GT550, we all tended o use 20w50 mineral oil and mostly still do.
Of course, anyone else can do exactly as they wish, clutch plates aren't that expensive.......
tato81
Around the block

Post by tato81 »

it's been a long time. But it was all because of the high cost. But during that time I did the nikasil at Langcourt and the crankshaft at Chriss Applebee. Now I am putting everything together. The new type carburetors are still missing :( I have an older type. Does anyone have a set to sell? Or a replacement? I wonder ,if newer type carburetors will work well on nikasil? what do you think :?:
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Newer type carbs work well on nicasil barrel engines. I have them on my A and I still have the bike. The story of the rebuild is here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... lit=Earwig - it's a long thread and shows 2 rebuilds and lots of details.
Baz Wilkes on Kettle Clinic forum restores carbs and usually has sets for sale. Not cheap, but vey good - he's done almost all mine.