Newbi with start up ?

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

1ofthesedays
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: X-6 Hustler, Gs550m, Gs1000E,Gs1000C,GSF1200s

Newbi with start up ?

Post by 1ofthesedays »

New to this site and omg, it is unreal the amount of knowledge and the incredible restoration. The number of motorcycles individuals own with such diversity from around the world, inspiring to say the least. I acquired a 1975 Gt 380 about ten years ago and finally decided to get it going. Finally acquired a set of carb and in the process of rebuilding to try to get it to run. Bike has 24k on clock, I have now idea as to how long it has sat , I have owned it about ten years myself. The question that I have is what do for the first fire up in decades, hopefully. Oil I assume is my biggest concern, should I premix first?? Thanks, so much for help. Ron
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Newbi with start up ?

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi welcome to the forum. If the bike has been stood for a very long time its likely that the crank oil seals will be ruined. I presume the bike turns over okay on the kickstart? I would obviously change the gearbox oil and remove and clean the 2T oiltank fill with good quality 2t oil. Check that the oil pump works on startup by pulling on the oil cable to maximum and watch the oil being pushed along the oilpipes. There are many different theories about adding premix. Some say do, i personally wouldnt. Adding oil to the mixture that is also being pump fed may cause the cylinder to overheat as the petrol/air mixture in normal operation cools the cylinder. There are varying opinions though this is just my personal view. New plugs and points and goodluck! Let us know how it goes
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I agree. If the seals are still usable, it'll probably run. Lots of people premix them for startup but I never have either. Truthfully, the Suzuki oil pumps are very reliable, and will probably work fine. If it makes you feel safer, squirt a little oil in the cylinders and kick it over a few times to coat the cylinder bores before putting any gas in it. On my first GT750, after I got a spark, I couldn't help myself, so I put a squirt of pre-mix down each plug hole and kicked it, just to hear it start. It did.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
1ofthesedays
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: X-6 Hustler, Gs550m, Gs1000E,Gs1000C,GSF1200s

Post by 1ofthesedays »

Thanks so much for your help, will do. I assume if seals are bad it won't run? Getting closer to fire up? Is there a place to where I can find new intake boots? Will keep you informed, my pet peeve is reading a lot of posts on progress of a resto and they leave you hanging.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

The engine will run with damaged seals unless they are completely shot. There are ways to detect if they are no good but best see if it runs first i think.
Intake boots here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/S ... parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j