Water pump

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

wolfgangh
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Water pump

Post by wolfgangh »

Hi, I am in the process of assembling my 750 engine after spraying the cases and cylinder block. I am of course renewing every part which has signs of wear and all seals and gaskets.
I noticed that the shaft of the water pump does not really turn freely like expected in a bearing, it requires some force to turn by hand ( hard to describe - similar like screwing a M5 bolt in a perfect thread by hand).
Should this spin easyly or is it the friction to an internal seal causing the resistance?

Thanks

Wolfgang
Warehouse1001

Re: Water pump

Post by Warehouse1001 »

Funny you should bring that up. IF you do a search you'll find my diatribe on the subject. But, to save you that agony I can assure you what your noting is not abnormal. There is drag created from at least two sources in the pump. Perfectly normal. Now that doesn't mean your pump is 100%. But drag by itself is not a problem. If you remove the impeller you'll find some of that drag goes away....but not all of it. Normal . Chuck
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Water pump

Post by rngdng »

The mechanical seals in the pump have some friction. I agree....normal.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........