Maui Blue Metallic 797 1976 SUZUKI GT250A PAINT to BUY

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

Maui Blue Metallic 797 1976 SUZUKI GT250A PAINT to BUY

Post by TJCOOL »

Hi

I would like to buy some paint in the colour above....want to repaint panels...WHERE can I get some?..does it come in an aerosol that I can do it myself?..probably need primer and some clear coat too.

I searched the internet but wasn't that lucky..I think I ran out of patience actually...please let me know where this can be had....I suppose canned too would suffice..I guess I could bring it to a pro painter...nevertheless, please advise where I can buy some..

thank you

Terry
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Maui Blue Metallic 797 1976 SUZUKI GT250A PAINT to BUY

Post by jabcb »

If you want to paint the side covers to a match maui blue metallic tank, then your best outcome will be to take the tank & side covers to a pro paint shop.
The pro shop will have paint mixed to match the tank.

I bought two NOS yellow side covers for my T350 a few years ago.
Even though neither suffered from any sun fading, I was surprised at how different the two side cover colors looked.
Quality control back in the 70s was not what it is today.
Even if you had the correct modern color code for maui blue metallic paint, it might not match the tank.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Here you go
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzuki-Metalli ... ++797+blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/colour ... heme=10302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

GTandcbr wrote:Here you go
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzuki-Metalli ... ++797+blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/colour ... heme=10302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

first link doesn't ship to Canada...

second link..wish one could see the actual colour...I know for the year the colour is right...what would one have to do to prepare for painting?...sand? would primer be an item to buy too?..how many coats would be needed?...maybe I should just bring this to a local pro painter.....
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

It all depends what you want. If you are going to enter concours competitions and have rivet counters checking the colour RS paints will sell you everything you need. But if you want a bike that looks good and is near enough just go local. Its certainly cheaper...
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Daihatsu Peacock blue is a perfect match.[*]Image[*]

[*]Image[*]
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

very nice paint job...found someone local..it appears they have quite a bit of experience..I took the tank in to have them reproduce..I want the panels painted as tank....he talked like he knew what he was talking about...lets see how it all comes about...i would like the bike rideable and in show room condition....
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

TJCOOL wrote:first link doesn't ship to Canada....
I see you have a solution, but I don't think RS Bike Paints ships to Canada either - at least that is what a friend tells me who tried to buy from them earlier this summer. I know personally that they don't return email which gets really annoying after the third or fourth try :? I normally just have a good painter do a match - as someone else mentioned, the colour variation for the same colour was pretty wide back in the day 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

The color even varies on original paint on the same bike, as paint is applied to both metal and plastic. Over time, the base material has some effect.
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

makes sense..I found a guy locally...never used him before but seems to be knowledgeable....would be hard talking to me...we'll see what happens and what he was able to do with the colouring matching...I don't expect perfection..like the connervt said, it will react differently to different materials....I am anxious to see the results.....
wrenchbender
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750A

Post by wrenchbender »

This seems like a good place to jump in with a new member introduction. I am Carl in Fl. I just acquired a 1976 GT750A and have been struggling to find a match for the Coronado Blue the Bike should be. It has twice been painted before me. Once Black and once too light of a Blue. Viewing the photos above I suspect the previous painter possibly matched to the Maui Blue. I have studied the websites and forums looking for someone who has posted an auto color they have figured out is a match. I have seen mention of a Hyundai color U14 Seaside Blue. Meanwhile I bought a beat up and repainted tank off feebay for $50 just to harvest the emblems and top flap and spare petcock. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could wipe off the wrong paint from the bottom of the feebay tank with lacquer thinner revealing the original Blue paint. Adding to my confusion is that I think I read Maui Blue and Coronado Blue were the same. I spent some time at a paint supplier the other day with fist fulls of chip cards in the bright Florida sunshine of his parking lot and I believe I have a match to a GM color. If I use it I'll post the results and the code. I'm not quite ready to paint yet so I didn't have it mixed yet. If someone has some input please jump in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

wrenchbender wrote:Adding to my confusion is that I think I read Maui Blue and Coronado Blue were the same.
Welcome aboard ! :up:

Coronado Blue was Suzuki paint code 279 and also called Bright Blue Metallic and I think was only used on the 1973 T500. Maui Blue was paint code 797 and used on the 1975 T500, 1976 GT380 and 1976 and 1977 (EU version) GT750's. I actually thought the 1974 GT250 used 759 which was Cerulean Blue (also called Rally Blue) and I don't show a blue for a 1976 GT250 in North America at least. It doesn't really matter - it's your bike, and the Maui Blue is a nice colour.

If you do come up with a GM match, then I'd like to add that info to the spreadsheet I maintain at this link[/u]. I have been collecting additional data to do an update (I currently don't include GT250 data for example) and plan that for this winter. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
wrenchbender
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750A

Post by wrenchbender »

Ian, The Bike I have is a GT750A. I posted here because of "Maui Blue 797" in the title. Your website is a wealth of knowledge. It is one of the first resources I discovered after purchasing my Buffalo. I plan to bring it back to be a presentable and correct rider, A "rider ration" as I call it. It would be my pleasure to contribute anything I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

[quote
If you do come up with a GM match, then I'd like to add that info to the spreadsheet I maintain at this link[/u]. I have been collecting additional data to do an update (I currently don't include GT250 data for example) and plan that for this winter. 8)[/quote]

I would be very interested as well about the GM colour match for the Maui Blue or the other blue that is similar...

thanks

Terry
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

wrenchbender wrote:This seems like a good place to jump in with a new member introduction. I am Carl in Fl. I just acquired a 1976 GT750A and have been struggling to find a match for the Coronado Blue the Bike should be. It has twice been painted before me. Once Black and once too light of a Blue. Viewing the photos above I suspect the previous painter possibly matched to the Maui Blue. I have studied the websites and forums looking for someone who has posted an auto color they have figured out is a match. I have seen mention of a Hyundai color U14 Seaside Blue. Meanwhile I bought a beat up and repainted tank off feebay for $50 just to harvest the emblems and top flap and spare petcock. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could wipe off the wrong paint from the bottom of the feebay tank with lacquer thinner revealing the original Blue paint. Adding to my confusion is that I think I read Maui Blue and Coronado Blue were the same. I spent some time at a paint supplier the other day with fist fulls of chip cards in the bright Florida sunshine of his parking lot and I believe I have a match to a GM color. If I use it I'll post the results and the code. I'm not quite ready to paint yet so I didn't have it mixed yet. If someone has some input please jump in.

what is that gm colour you have there? I like it and want to inform the painter doing my panels and tank..please..

thanks

Terry