RE-CHROMING

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

RE-CHROMING

Post by TJCOOL »

Hi

I have a 1976 GT250 I was thinking of having re-chromed (too bad I cannot insert pics here). I checked around in my area (Ottawa) and there doesn't seem to be anyone of any repute. The chrome is in fairly decent condition but some serious clean up would be beneficial. I love shinny chrome...anyway, does anyone know of a contact in Ontario..not too far from Ottawa please...that does this type of work, isn't too expensive and has a good reputation?.... :?:

thanks
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: RE-CHROMING

Post by pearljam724 »

I have a conact in the states that is very affordable, treats people right, good work, etc. Piece of advice, do not elect to have parts double, triple or show chromed. Unless you have a boat load of money. These parts were never show chromed in their earliest existence. Second piece of advice, explain to the prospect chromer. That you will go above and beyond to properly clean all foreign matter from the pieces of metal before handing them over. Dirt, gunk, rust, oil, pitting, etc. More prep work you save them and only electing a single crome. If you explain that to the right person, you will receive affordable quotes. Chrome is expensive to most people because all of the cleaning and prep work that they lazily throw at someone else. You save someone that grief. They save you money. If you emphasize that to the correct person. And come through on your end of the bargain. By doing a very good job.
Image Image
TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

Post by TJCOOL »

thank you..I'd like to get hold of this contact of yours and have a little chat...I realize this is something that will need to be done one piece at a time...it seems to be very expensive....but what the hell..what's money for if not for spending..
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

Like I mentioned. Chroming can be very affordable if someone takes that advice. For example, I had every emaginable part on my 750 chromed for a total of $250. Minus any exhaust pipes. Chromers don't like to do exhaust pipes because the internal carbon and oils ruin their dipping solutions which are very expensive. Very few places will do pipes. But, those few will charge an arm and a leg. Knowing they will have to replace the dipping solution. With other parts, it allows them to reuse the solution over and over.
Image Image
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

pearljam724

Who is your contact please
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

TJCOOL wrote:I checked around in my area (Ottawa) and there doesn't seem to be anyone of any repute.
There are several places in Ontario that do chrome - best would be to check with your local CVMG chapter and ask who they suggest in your local area. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !