Refinishing old parts

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Refinishing old parts

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Refinishing of a triple tree for a Suzuki TS400; first step is the removal of the old paint by media blasting with #80 grit glass beads, then "dressing" any casting issues etc with various diamond bit files. Next blasting again to re-texture those filed on sections, followed by some 1500 wet sand. Once its dry applying paint accordingly gives these results. The paint used is a semi satin black finish which looks very attractive on these parts.

Restoration of an old alternator for a GT750, first its stripped of the old wire harness and the coils are removed from the aluminum frame. The frame is media blasted and refinished in metallic silver and clear coated. The four harness wires are upgraded to 14 Gauge wire with new sheathing and plastic terminal connector.
Rotors are not fully painted from the factory and I don't enjoy looking at surface rust, so refinishing the rotor is not a bad idea at the same time.
Once all the work is completed the parts now look like this.

Old alternator removed from a used engine, its in bad physical condition

I cut the wires from the harness to get it out the mounting frame to clean it properly. I will remove the three soldered joints later from the coil winding to harness junctions.

The repainted frame with new wires and sheathing fitted.
Rotor looking nice and clean
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100