750M

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

markj
To the on ramp

750M

Post by markj »

It's been a while. I joined this board many moons ago and was pretty active. I had a few Suzuki's in various states of running/repair. I started on this '75 750M probably around 5 years ago. I had gotten most of the frame parts taken care of. Powder coated the frame, new forks, refinished outer fork tubes, new chrome, tapered steering bearings, needle bushings for the swingarm, etc. Then came time to tackle the engine and I just sort of stalled out. The frame has been sitting for the past few years staring at me on the bike lift. The engine was under my work bench on a cart. To be honest I had a fear that the barrels would give me a hard time coming off the project so I had been reluctant to tackle it. It went out of site and out of mind for a while. Life had gotten busy with some major changes and I had already a lot of other projects that took take priority.

But things have settled down, I've downsized or gotten rid of a lot of other projects so now it's back to the Suzuki.

Here's how it started....it was a rough runner I got for $500.00. Looks good here but a lot of the chrome was pitted and it was very dirty and smoked a bit. Image

This is what's been staring at me in the garage the past few years. What you see is all refinished. I have all other chrome and painted pieces safely tucked away until the motor is done.

I finally pulled the cylinder head and soaked the studs with WD40 and Breakfree and it came off a lot easier that I had worried it might!

I'm going to do some tidying up of my work space. Then I'll split the case and pull the crank to send to Bill Bune. My timeline is to have the motor back together by the end of January with the goal of getting everything finished by April in time for riding season.
So many Projects - So little time
dude99
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Re: 750M

Post by dude99 »

Do you happen to know the color code for your bike?
Bikes:
1975? GT750 project -the reason I'm here :)
1978 GS750 -my current ride
1982 GS(X)400 -sold
1981 RD350LC -sold and missed
1979 Honda CB400 hawk -sold and not missed, horrible bike
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

dude99 wrote:Do you happen to know the color code for your bike?
Been a while...back to it. This is the paint source I found

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/shop-p ... 47&3732=on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

Looking good. Working to complete my 74 by Spring as well. Good luck! Chuck
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Warehouse1001 wrote:Looking good. Working to complete my 74 by Spring as well. Good luck! Chuck
Thanks Chuck. Got the barrels bored one over and the last thing to do is get the crank out and clean the cases and put new seals on etc.. Just got a new set of painted body work so there's no good reason it shouldn't be ready for spring.
Warehouse1001

Post by Warehouse1001 »

You got a great deal on the paint set from Paul. Considering the value of the petcock, cap and emblems I am shocked. Nice! Chuck