Suzuki "S" mirrors

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Suzuki "S" mirrors

Post by Flywheel »

When I bought my GT185 both Suzuki "S" mirrors were in decent shape but where the mirror's stem necks down into M8 threads was a problem. Both mirrors were rigged on their respective perches as the necked down part was broken. I replaced them with an adapter (M8 to M10) and an old Kawi mirror for the left (which I had in my parts bin) and an Emgo for the right. Here's my question, I have the broken threaded part for each mirror, which would be best: Weld/braze the broken treaded part to each mirror stem or have the stem turned down and tapped with new threads?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Suzuki "S" mirrors

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

A decent welder should be able to to the job I think. I suspect that is why Suzuki switched to the 10mm mounts, but if you have the shock mounts/cuchions for the mirrors it will lessen the metal fatigue issue with the 8mm stubs. Paul Miller and Reiner can usually supply 8mm chrome ones (56700-36000) as well as the 10mm chrome version (56700-36001) - black 10mm ones for the 1977 version (56700-45400) are still available from Suzuki in most countries. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Flywheel
On the main road

Post by Flywheel »

Thanks for the response Ian! I do have a welder, so will probably go that route first. Also I didn't even know about the cushion mounts, so that looks like a promising idea. The chrome on these mirrors is still good with no pitting, so I'd like to try to save them. Thanks again.
Sandman
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100 TS125 TM125 RM125

Post by Sandman »

Just a thought- have you considered buying a new pair from Paul Miller Cycles? Might be worth the money, be less trouble and a better long term result.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Sandman wrote:Just a thought- have you considered buying a new pair from Paul Miller Cycles?
Paul has 'S' mirrors ? The non-S mirrors are available from Suzuki still, or lots of other places. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Flywheel
On the main road

Post by Flywheel »

Sandman wrote:Just a thought- have you considered buying a new pair from Paul Miller Cycles? Might be worth the money, be less trouble and a better long term result.

I may have to look into that!