380 engine rebuild

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

CumbriaSuzuki
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250, GT380, GT500

380 engine rebuild

Post by CumbriaSuzuki »

I've got my crankcases, cylinders and whatever else aqua blasted, cylinders rebored, new pistons, crankshaft's got new seals, con rods and bearings and now I've just got to put it all back together.

Well, it's the first time I've done a total engine rebuild, so I was hoping that may be there are some tips someone out there could offer in the way of what seals should I definitely replace even though the old ones look sound, can I use non Suzuki gaskets, what to look qout for when rebuilding the gearbox etc, etc, that sort of thing.

Any good advice is much appreciated.

I'll post up some pics of the progress soon, so you can see where I'm going wrong!
Martin

GT500A 1976
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Re: 380 engine rebuild

Post by akendall1966 »

Given what you have invested so far not replacing all the seals would IMHO be foolish. I tend to use people like simplybearings for common seals rather than OEM unless size is non standard. You will probably save 40% over OEM prices.

Go steady check stuff works before you button up the cases. Finding mistakes before you Commit gaskets or coat it all in too is worth a few minutes extra work.
CumbriaSuzuki
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250, GT380, GT500

Re: 380 engine rebuild

Post by CumbriaSuzuki »

Yeah, you're dead right, thanks for the advice it would be foolish, that's why I ordered all my new seals from Suzuki Discount Spares in readiness for when I start. I even bought all the springs for the kick starter and the tiny ones for the pawls. It's cost me nigh on £50 for a small bag of seals and springs so far! Still, better safe than sorry.
I've still not been able to set a whole solid day aside yet (too many other things going on) to get on with it, as it's too easy to get distracted and forget whereabouts you were up to.
Well, I'm off to Turkey for a week now so it's something to look forward to when I get back :D
Martin

GT500A 1976