New winter project

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

New winter project

Post by Alan H »

Full details including pics here - www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/viewtopi ... 46#p110246

Gawd knows what this one will be named - never had a M model before - Emma? - , but doubtless it'll not be standard when it's done as I have lots of non standard bits that need a home. :wink:
Last ved ran out 31st October 1985, 37 years ago almost to the day. I'll have to check stock, but I don't think it'll be running anytime soon though.......
Unfortunately, due to my detestation of using sites that want to use my pics for their useage, you'll have to click on the Kettle Clinic link above. :roll: Grrrr!!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Re: New winter project

Post by Alan H »

Well M is home, exactly 37 years to the day when the last VED (road tax) was due.
Wonder how much effort a 600+cc engine would be?
And a Dunstall kit fitted?
Plus a 3-1 instead of the HAF standard exhaust......
Al hatter havva luke in the stash to see what else is in there. :twisted:
A nice set of GS550 alloys and 3 discs might be on the agenda too, similar to Earwig.
More pics in the link in my 1st post on this thread.
Standard build? In yer dreams.........
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Go the whole hog... watercooled.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, it was done with a 380 for Sheene as a 500 conversion by Bartons.
But maybe a 600 conversion using TS185 pistons would do the trick. Hmmmmmm. :twisted:
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

The project starts....
Of course I hadn't actually done anything with Emma since parking the heap of bits at home, and after dragging the engine out I had a good look at it.
Oh dear.
It's probably the worst one I've had yet and has been stood for 37 years with the heads & barrels off and most of the casings underwater, it seems. The clutch pressure plate is in two pieces (pics to follow) and the clutch is one lump of scrap, so I decided to use the percussion method of unmantling and got the hammer(s) out.
The 6 6mm pressure plate studs came out fairly easily - well, 5 did - part of number 6 is still in there. And after quite a lot of bashing, the clutch plates were ready for the bin. The centre nut came off easily and the centre followed the 'plates. After a bit of prising, the clutch outer (now without the 'fingers' that locate the friction plates) came out and on examination, the borg warner starter clutch parts - including the needle roller bearings and inner part that spins the clutch - were removed as they are in good condition. Good job I bought a couple of 550 clutches last week innit?
The saga continues.......
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

More pics on page 5 of the the link in post 1.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Keep us posted, Alan, that one looks like it needs a lot of TLC ...
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Oh yes. And as it 's a nikasil engine, it'll be standard bore, but skimmed head & ported slightly.
And 3 discs again!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, due to needing some room for the shift around tomorrow, (GS out of the garage and go where Emma has been resting, MG into the garage), I decided to strip the frame of all its bits.
Took a couple of days because it gets late early now and everything was rusted very tight, but I have a selection of hammers and a bfo breaker bar, so it all unmantled eventually. Anyway all bits are off the frame and in a box, and I think the powder coat lady will do some eye rolling when she sees the state of all the bits that need shot blasting. Might get them sorted for next week so they won't be in my way at all until after Chrimbo. Sounds like the original engine crankcases are about boloxt, good job I've got some spare (and some number punches!) Sent off for a new V5 as the previous long term owner hasn't seen the original one for 'a few years'.  :?
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

using the nikasil engine does me out of a job :( i was quite looking forward to building that big bore engine :D don't forget, there's a set of 550 crankcases in my shed. without looking at the numbers i don't know what year they are. must dig them out and give them back to you :P
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Sounds like a good winter project Alan! I’ll need to get over to the Kettle site to view your pics. I’ll be starting on my GT750 cylinder swap and top end rebuild very soon myself as soon as I finish up with updates to my ‘72 Kaw H2 which is on the lift table at present.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Bores can be opened up and re-plated to suit larger pistons. That's always an option with plated bores. You get new Nicasil plating too.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

It turns out that the engine is so bad, that it's unusable. The crank is rust welded to the cases and the cases are u/s anyway. :(
Had a look at 'stock' and there was a K engine and an A engine spare, so they went down to Baz's and one good 'un will be made out of several mediocre ones. I think the A cases will end up being used, so it won't be original - as if that matters.
More pics on the original thread.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, other than stripping the frame and all the big bits into easily chuckaboutable sections, not much progress due to Chrimbo, a two week Caribbean cruise, building another greenhouse, trying to get some miles on the Guzzi and general life when the weather is sh1te, I've managed to get a GS550 swing arm, rear sets, brake & gear linkages and other bits sorted, so I must get the frame & other tinware to the powder coaters 'soon'. Not sure about wheels etc. yet - might be GS550, GS500, SV650 or summat completely different. Hopefully any 'anorak' trying to work it out will throw a complete mental wobbler. Likewise forks.
Handlebar switches are snafu'd so I could fit anything with suitable modifications I suppose, likewise handlebars, levers (hydraulic clutch again so there will be matching levers?) Harness is knackered, but I have (wrong year) spares so they are 'wrong'. I think this one will be one SOB to sort, but I daresay, whistle see.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Just got gs550 rear swing arm and some gs550 footrest brackets & pedals so the footrests can be a bit further back. (Maybe.)
Waiting for wheels & now need GS750 or even better GS1000 calipers (front) & a GS550 rear caliper. Plenty in the US but import duties are stupid expensive here. And postage isn't funny at all.
Wheels/discs on their way, so I might as well get the frame & tinware powder coated. But what colour? Maybe silver or summat completely different. Hmmmm.
Wheels silver or black? Maybe arseds about colour scheme to annoy the purists again?!?!