New winter project

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan, oldjapanesebikes

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

New winter project

Post by Alan H »

Full details including pics here - www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/viewtopi ... 46#p110246

Gawd knows what this one will be named - never had a M model before - Emma? - , but doubtless it'll not be standard when it's done as I have lots of non standard bits that need a home. :wink:
Last ved ran out 31st October 1985, 37 years ago almost to the day. I'll have to check stock, but I don't think it'll be running anytime soon though.......
Unfortunately, due to my detestation of using sites that want to use my pics for their useage, you'll have to click on the Kettle Clinic link above. :roll: Grrrr!!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Re: New winter project

Post by Alan H »

Well M is home, exactly 37 years to the day when the last VED (road tax) was due.
Wonder how much effort a 600+cc engine would be?
And a Dunstall kit fitted?
Plus a 3-1 instead of the HAF standard exhaust......
Al hatter havva luke in the stash to see what else is in there. :twisted:
A nice set of GS550 alloys and 3 discs might be on the agenda too, similar to Earwig.
More pics in the link in my 1st post on this thread.
Standard build? In yer dreams.........
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Go the whole hog... watercooled.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, it was done with a 380 for Sheene as a 500 conversion by Bartons.
But maybe a 600 conversion using TS185 pistons would do the trick. Hmmmmmm. :twisted:
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

The project starts....
Of course I hadn't actually done anything with Emma since parking the heap of bits at home, and after dragging the engine out I had a good look at it.
Oh dear.
It's probably the worst one I've had yet and has been stood for 37 years with the heads & barrels off and most of the casings underwater, it seems. The clutch pressure plate is in two pieces (pics to follow) and the clutch is one lump of scrap, so I decided to use the percussion method of unmantling and got the hammer(s) out.
The 6 6mm pressure plate studs came out fairly easily - well, 5 did - part of number 6 is still in there. And after quite a lot of bashing, the clutch plates were ready for the bin. The centre nut came off easily and the centre followed the 'plates. After a bit of prising, the clutch outer (now without the 'fingers' that locate the friction plates) came out and on examination, the borg warner starter clutch parts - including the needle roller bearings and inner part that spins the clutch - were removed as they are in good condition. Good job I bought a couple of 550 clutches last week innit?
The saga continues.......
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

More pics on page 5 of the the link in post 1.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Keep us posted, Alan, that one looks like it needs a lot of TLC ...
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Oh yes. And as it 's a nikasil engine, it'll be standard bore, but skimmed head & ported slightly.
And 3 discs again!