TR500 replica build

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

ChrisK
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 race, GSXR400 race

Re: TR500 replica build

Post by ChrisK »

I still haven't got the bottom end built up, so I can't tell you how succesful these bearings are. The fact that I will be running on premix means I am not too fussy about the oil holes for the outer bearings as the crancase will be modded for oil flow anyway. The outer bearing # is DG258028-9

Some progress since my last report, the custom pistons have now arrived as have the multiport barrels. The crank is being lightened and dynamically balanced over the next month or so.
A nice expansion chamber kit from Dave Swarbrick in UK has also arrived and frames mods are well underway.

Along with the "hot" motor, I am building up one that is pretty stock (apart from minor port mods) that will be the shakdown motor for testing a number of components.

Still thinking about the clutch, maybe swapping out plates for thinner ones so we can get more in as well as stronger springs, which may result in a modded actuator mechanism to get better mechanical advantage. Probably going for a modded 1st gear to get a closer ratio 1-2 to make it actually usable on the track. There is a guy in Melbourne that does the mod.

Brakes are next on the agenda, I have a set of standard rebuilt GT750 calipers with racing pads fitted, but I think I'm going to go for a better caliper. The AP's are quite expensive so maybe a Grimeca or Brembo F08. The standard ones are up for grabs at a reasonable price if anyone is interested?

irish1
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: t20 ts250 t500

Post by irish1 »

Thanks Chris on the reply with the bearing numbers, your bike should be about the best one can get from one of these things. Thanks again.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

irish1 wrote:Thanks Chris on the reply with the bearing numbers, your bike should be about the best one can get from one of these things. Thanks again.
Chris has some competition irish1 :twisted: We hav'nt made a sporting bet on how our T500s will perform but I suspect we both eagerly await actual petrol powered running to compare results and ideas lol.

Cheers Geoff
irish1
On the street

Post by irish1 »

Hi Zunspec4, no disrespect to your build, but your in a different league with that Seeley frame, just looking at those welds puts me in my place. However it's all good fun and of course none of makes any sense $ wise, must be something in our blood. Chris, the bearing numbers you posted were the same as the ones in your picture, could you share the numbers on the other bearings. Thanks Ken.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello irish1,

Confirm the "doesn't make sense $ wise" lol. It keeps you spending too much at the Pub though :D

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

irish1 wrote:Hi Zunspec4, no disrespect to your build, but your in a different league with that Seeley frame, just looking at those welds puts me in my place. However it's all good fun and of course none of makes any sense $ wise, must be something in our blood. Chris, the bearing numbers you posted were the same as the ones in your picture, could you share the numbers on the other bearings. Thanks Ken.
OK Ken, now I'm confused, you wanted the number on the outer bearings? That's the one I gave you. Can you clarify?
irish1
On the street

Post by irish1 »

Hi Chris, I'm very good at confusing people, seems to come natural to me. Let me try again, I thought the picture with the bearing showing the bearing number was the middle bearing, hence the request for the other bearing number. I think maybe the best way to ask is for the other bearing not numbered dg258028-9 and god only knows what side I might put it on. Thanks for your patience. Ken.
irish1
On the street

Post by irish1 »

Crank bearings, well there is a mfg that list both of those bearings, and to my surprise there in China, they'll sell you some for $0.60ea but you gotta buy a 1000 of them, that should about cover most of my crank rebuilds. Don't know what shipping would be.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

Hi,I have a mate with a bearing shop in Sydney,for the application you want the bearings for,stay well clear of Chinese bearings !!!!!!! :oops: :cry:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

GT750Battleship wrote:Hi,I have a mate with a bearing shop in Sydney,for the application you want the bearings for,stay well clear of Chinese bearings !!!!!!! :oops: :cry:
Cheers,
Roger
Thanks Roger, want to PM me his details?
Chris
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Every time I look at this thread, I become more and more convinced that some people on this board make a lot more money than I........ :wth: :wth:

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I find that to be true most places I go. It doesn't stop me enjoying life as I suspect it doesn't for you either. :wink: :)
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

rngdng wrote:Every time I look at this thread, I become more and more convinced that some people on this board make a lot more money than I........ :wth: :wth:

Lane
Sadly, it's true that I probably could have bought 2 more great handling, superfast, ultra reliable Supersport bikes for what is being sunk into this old battleship, but as the famous Dr John song Such a Night goes "if I don't do it, somebody else will".............
You can't take it with you and my kids understand perfectly that dad has worked some 47 years to have the opportunity to spend his money on these these little luxuries that will dig into their inheritance :D
Oh, and I have a VERY understanding wife (who is also a racer) - I just keep buying her bikes and parts as well!
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

ChrisK wrote:Some progress since my last report, the custom pistons have now arrived as have the multiport barrels.
Hey Chris - very interested in the barrels as well as the custom heads. Care to share some pictures or details? Wondering what you did to improve on the offset transfer ports.

Jim
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

diamondj wrote: Hey Chris - very interested in the barrels as well as the custom heads. Care to share some pictures or details? Wondering what you did to improve on the offset transfer ports.

Jim
PM in your inbox, Jim