1971 T500 Rescue

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

T500_Brandon
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1971 T500

1971 T500 Rescue

Post by T500_Brandon »

I figured that I should actually start a build thread for my Grandfather's old T500. It was abandoned in my Grandfather's garage for about 30 years without really being touched, until I decided it was worth rescuing and saved it from the scrapyard. Initially I thought about parting it out, but something drew me to it, and the T500 was spared again. After 30 years of abandonment, I thought that it deserved a new life. So I started out with a basket case.

When I got it, it was not running and would not turn over. After removing the engine from the frame and removing the heads, I found that the left piston was free. The right side was locked up tight, so I decided that further disassembly was needed. Off came the clutch and alternator, and out came the bolts for the crankcase. That's when I decided to see if the correct combination of finesse and brute force could free the piston. After copious amounts of penetrating oil and fire, the piston moved. Basically, I plan on getting another barrel and piston for the bike, and replacing the stuck one.

I don't know what direction I'm going in with the bike right now. I'm thinking a rebuild, but I may consider swapping in disc brakes if possible. I'll post pics tomorrow.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: 1971 T500 Rescue

Post by titan performance »

You have my attention !
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Keep looking standard-ish. It's easier and cheaper than changing stuff for the sake of it.
Saying that, I've just converted a GT550 to discs. It has been a pain and hard work.
Only you know your limitations and skills.
The T/GT500 is a great bike but remember it's a 50+ year old design so will not set your local streets on fire unless you spend a lot of cash on it and change the entire machine into something that it wasn't designed for.
Treat it for what it is and enjoy. There are lots of us out here that will give help and assist as we can with advice.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Hi,really good that you are trying to save a bike that has such a family connection :P
I will watch you progress with interest 8)
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.