GT 750 restoration

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

simmons1
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1000s

Re: GT 750 restoration

Post by simmons1 »

Looking great.

Do you have any tips for what you are using besides elbow grease to do such a nice job on the polishing you have been doing?

Thanks!
T700, Africa Twin, Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750
bofud
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T 250 +20 others

Post by bofud »

simmons1
Glad on your interests in my project. I don't know if my tips or my process of doing things will help you to much. The forks and the brake plates were in poor condition as the photos will show. Suzuki ,as well as the other m/c manuf, used to clear coat a lot of the aluminum bits. I have found that in my resto 's these parts ,after years seem to break down and corrosion takes place underneath . Marking the alum to the point ,sanding is a big time process. So what i do (right or wrong) ,i blast my parts with a fine glass bead. This will rough the alum and get rid of that wormy and sometimes patchy black marks. Then I use a 3m scouring pad -they also come in different grits- or fine steel wool to smooth things out. Then depending on what finish i want i will sand and polish with diff grades of paper. Getting a mirror finish is possible ,if you spend the time. The GT750 brake plates on the J model are pretty complicated ,so right now i will leave them and maybe polish them later.
The forks i sanded ,then used a fine scouring pad and polished them with my grinder /polisher.
Suzuki --in 72 did not spend a lot of time polishing the brake plates. When i looked at them ,the polish lines were going in 5 or 6 different directions.
Boris (bofud)
simmons1
On the main road

Post by simmons1 »

bofud wrote:simmons1
Glad on your interests in my project. I don't know if my tips or my process of doing things will help you to much. The forks and the brake plates were in poor condition as the photos will show. Suzuki ,as well as the other m/c manuf, used to clear coat a lot of the aluminum bits. I have found that in my resto 's these parts ,after years seem to break down and corrosion takes place underneath . Marking the alum to the point ,sanding is a big time process. So what i do (right or wrong) ,i blast my parts with a fine glass bead. This will rough the alum and get rid of that wormy and sometimes patchy black marks. Then I use a 3m scouring pad -they also come in different grits- or fine steel wool to smooth things out. Then depending on what finish i want i will sand and polish with diff grades of paper. Getting a mirror finish is possible ,if you spend the time. The GT750 brake plates on the J model are pretty complicated ,so right now i will leave them and maybe polish them later.
The forks i sanded ,then used a fine scouring pad and polished them with my grinder /polisher.
Suzuki --in 72 did not spend a lot of time polishing the brake plates. When i looked at them ,the polish lines were going in 5 or 6 different directions.
Boris (bofud)
Thank you Boris!

You have given me some great ideas for the the next time I am cleaning up Aluminum parts.
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Those soda blasters you get from Harbor Freight work pretty well too and save a ton of elbow grease.
So many Projects - So little time
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

To get the failed clear-coat off, I use aircraft paint stripper. It saves tons of time.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
buffalodave
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750A

Post by buffalodave »

I like what you are doing...it gives me inspiration to do the same to my 76 I am working on.Keep posting! :clap:
bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

Slowing down a bit on the projects,lots of work outside now weather has improved.Had a broken bolt in the cylinder that a friend removed. Head and barrels cleaned up and ready to go.
bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

frame stripped and ready for bead blast.
bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

Christmas for me today!!!
Comment's on the colour?? As close as painter could get with the new water paints.
bofud
Around the block

Post by bofud »

More colour.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

Lovely work,you must be pleased with it so far....enjoy the first outing :up:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750A
GT750Battleship.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

You are doing a great job. The paint is fine, and nicely done. The cylinders and head look great, not too polished. Just the way I like them.

Keep it up.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
simmons1
On the main road

Post by simmons1 »

I agree. I think what are you doing looks great. I am very envious of the skills people have that I don't have.