1973 TS50

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Foose
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS50

1973 TS50

Post by Foose »

Hi everyone,

i was out at mid-ohio last weekend and found myself a near-perfect 1973 TS50! well, at least it seemed that way at first...she's got some electrical gremlins...bad turn signal relay, blown headlight (both high and low beam) and the running lamp in the tail was burnt out too. i scrounged another relay out of the garage and so thats fine now, and ive been able to get the brake light working but thats about all....still cant get 6 volts out at the headlight for some reason, and the worst part is that there isnt a single wiring diagram out there anywhere. i even called up suzuki of america, and they didnt have any sort of service manual or anything for this bike, which surprised me. ive traced what i can of the electrical system, and i believe theyre taking power off of a coil in the motor (yellow wire with a red stripe) for the headlight and speedo pilot light...does this sound about right to anyone? it doesnt look like theyre sending it through the regulator or anything, the yellow/red wire comes from the motor case and goes straight to the ignition switch, where it goes to the grey wire, which should be +6V for the headlight....im only getting like 1.3 at the headlight leads, but theres also a couple hundred ohms in the high/lowbeam switch, so ill bet that needs cleaned up a bit. im also wondering what the heck the magneto resistor does, exactly, and what resistance im suppposed to get across it...i believe i was reading about 5.6 ohms.

im also not sure the oil injection is working...she gets good smoke when she first fires up, but after getting hot it doesnt seem to smoke much at all. i went ahead and drained the oil that was in the tank and replaced it with the fancy stuff from the local shop...supposed to be specifically for oil injection pumps... i want to put some premix in the fuel tank just to be sure the oil injection is working, but i dont know what ratio to go with, any suggestions? thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me, i appreciate it.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 1973 TS50

Post by Alan H »

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might be helpful for parts.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Kneeslider
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AC50, GS1000G

Re: 1973 TS50

Post by Kneeslider »

Correct, Yellow wire with Red tracer wire from the magneto to the ignition switch, the grey wire goes from ignition to the speedo light and to the dimmer switch, from the dimmer switch you should have a white wire to the bulb for low beam and a yellow wire to the bulb for high beam.
Black with white tracer is earth.
Check
1. Magneto output.
2. Clean all connections
3. Check and clean all grounds (bad earths cause more electrical headaches than any other thing)

Your bike should not smoke excessively, once warmed up, but it won't hurtto check and make sure the pump is delivering oil.
Pre mix 20:1 and you will be safe.
Don't let the shop sell you snake oil, "special two stroke for pumps".....phaaaaa, don't tell me, let me guess, it cost a fair bit more than your regular two stroke oil?

Any good quality two stroke oil is fine and will protect your engine, personally I like to use "Mobil Super Chainsaw" I have used it for years without problems or failures, I tend to stay away form Outboard two stroke oils, for the simple reason that the working environment of the engine is vastly different, outboard motors are water cooled and run at a constant temperature and are not plagued by heat soak or cycles in operation.

Hope this helps.
When in doubt, use full throttle, it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspense.

http://classiccyclecabin.wix.com/classiccyclecabin