gypsy red paint

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

bondspyguy
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 gt380 ,75 gt380

gypsy red paint

Post by bondspyguy »

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the original red paint for a 75 gt380 I belieive it was called gypsy red.the tank I have had been painted black.and how could I get the original color as I can't take it to the paint shop even to get it matched up as there's no old red paint on it .hope someone can help

Thanks stu
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: gypsy red paint

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

bondspyguy wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can buy the original red paint for a 75 gt380
Try these folks:

http://www.rsbikepaint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
locobuilderbri
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: A100.T250j

Post by locobuilderbri »

bondspyguy wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can buy the original red paint for a 75 gt380
I belieive it was called gypsy red.the tank I have had been painted black.and how could I get the original color as I can't take it to the paint shop even to get it matched up as there's no old red paint on it .hope someone can help

Thanks stu
I think Gypsy Red was also known as Jamaica Red, If thats the case British Leyland Nightfire Red as used
on the last of the original Mini's & the MGF is a good match.
The BMW Mini's also have a Nightfire Red but that is much darker.
I used BL Nightfire Red on my 1971 T250 to change it from the original Laguna Blue.
As you dont have an original panel for it to sit against it wont be a problem, when Suzuki originally
sprayed your bike the colour probably varied slightly due to depth of paint sprayed etc-etc.
Have you checked for original paint at the back of the oil tank, side panel or underside of the fuel tank? but
bear in mind it probably wouldn't have ever been polished there.

Best Regards Bri e
bondspyguy
On the street

Post by bondspyguy »

Thanks guys
The paint left on there is dull. And faded just can't remember was it a mettalic red or not ?? Thanks for the help

Stu
bondspyguy
On the street

Post by bondspyguy »

Ian

Thanks I looked at rspaint and they have the paint your the man....last time I used paint was cellulose so should be fun with the new paints lol
locobuilderbri
On the street

Post by locobuilderbri »

bondspyguy wrote:Thanks guys
The paint left on there is dull. And faded just can't remember was it a mettalic red or not ?? Thanks for the help

Stu
The paints were known as Candys, base coat is usually white or silver & the top coat is semi transparent allowing
the base coat to "effect" the top coat giving it greater "depth"
British bike maufactures in the 60's used to describe the paint finish as polychromatic. But I dont think there's any
metalflake in the paint.
The painter described it as like what happens when women paint one colour over another on their nails.

Best regards Bri e
locobuilderbri
On the street

Post by locobuilderbri »

locobuilderbri wrote:
bondspyguy wrote:Thanks guys

Stu
The paints were known as Candys, base coat is usually white or silver & the top coat is semi transparent allowing
the base coat to "effect" the top coat giving it greater "depth"
British bike maufactures in the 60's used to describe the paint finish as polychromatic. But I dont think there's any
metalflake in the paint.
The painter described it as like what happens when women paint one colour over another on their nails.

Best regards Bri e
stu
Have just wikied polychromatic paint, there is "metal-flake" in it although that in its self is a misnomer.
Wiki explains it much better than I ever could, sorry for the misinformation.

Best Regards Bri e