Shiny Cylinders -- (Again)

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Shiny Cylinders -- (Again)

Post by ConnerVT »

(The Internet seems to have swallowed up my previous thread, so I figure I'll post this again)

For my '71 T500R project, my goal for this year is to get the engine 100% done, so through next winter I can put it on the shelf, and work on the remaining items for the restoration. The plan includes a crank rebuild by Bill Bune, the 1400cc oil modification, a top end rebuild, and making the engine look pretty.

There's been a few setbacks. The engine that come with the bike had a crankshaft that was complete junk. Also had a mismatched set of pistons - one stock, one aftermarket +1 over. But a lucky find on Craigslist was a '73 motor from a motorcycle shop that had a top end rebuild, which the owner never paid for. Picked up for a good price, and a quick check of the top end looked good. Even better, the crank looked more than serviceable, and I also have some spare parts I can use if needed.

The CL MC shop attic find:
Sundial_0003.jpg
Like most 40+ year old blocks of aluminum, oxidation has taken place. The covers have taken a bit of sanding and buffing, and are starting to shine. The engine case itself looks pretty respectable, especially after I tore the engine down, and gave it a good scrubbing and degreasing. But what could I do to the cylinders and heads? They are a very prominent feature on a bike that already has a lot of shiny bits.

I had been researching what others have done, and came across some threads on vapor blasting. It is glass beading with water and a little detergent added. There are several folks in the UK who offer this, but I've only found two in the USA. One business does scooter restoration, the other is Jeff in Oregon, who is into restoring old British iron. He runs a business called Bikesalot.

So I packed up my cylinders and heads, and shipped them across the country (*WARNING --This may cost more than the actual work itself!). The results are pretty amazing:
Cyl_0002.jpg
Cyl_0001.jpg
I'm waiting on what my final cost is going to be, as the jugs aren't getting shipped out until tomorrow. The fee he charges for the work is $35 USD for large parts, $10 USD for small parts (not sure where a T500 head falls). But the shipping, for me, was about $100 each way (70+ lbs!), so it may be cost prohibitive for many. But the look is worth it for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: Shiny Cylinders -- (Again)

Post by H2RICK »

Beautiful work !!! :up: :clap:
For a 100 point resto, anything less than that kind of cleanliness would not be acceptable, IMO.
Very impressive !!!
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

My restoration won't be anywhere near 100 pt. But these cylinders should give a strong visual impact.

From what I've read, keeping them looking good will be a low maintenance task. The vapor blast is supposed to been many of the 'pores' in the aluminum, helping to keep dirt from gaininig a foothold and becoming difficult to clean.
Herman T
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 dragbike

Post by Herman T »

Fantastic work!!! I look forward to seeing your bike when it is completed. :)
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

Those barrels and heads look really good. :up: Did you leave the spark plugs in place while the blasting was done? How did you protect the bores?

I found a local vapour blaster here and will be getting my 500J bits done to look like yours (hopefully)

Cheers
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum