ANNA. (Annanother GT550!)

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

ANNA. (Annanother GT550!)

Post by Alan H »

Well, I p/x'd a 550B for BH, but so far, not had much chance to personalise the bike as it's been a bit busy recently....
A 501 mile round trip to Dartford - via the OK Diner A1 southbound after Newark to Frank's place, then via Baz's in Brum to home, and lots of other 'stuff' in the meantime means that there hasn't been much time than introducing the 550s - Yeti, Earwig and now Anna. They seem to be getting on well anyway.......
I've sorted the timing out on Anna - (AnnanotherGT550) - so although starting is a bit better, running certainly is - Givi base now fitted on the rack, and the led headlamp ready for fitting. The bike is vey shiny currently, but I'll soon sort that out  and with a (getafkoutatheway) horn fitted will be more suited to local riding quite soon. Hopefully a run to Squires tomorrow will help clear the smeggy crap out of the exhausts too.

Must admit, it's good (and slightly strange) having 3 x GT550s in the garage - an almost standard J, a very non standard A and the newby B, but all so very different. More updates soon, hopefully.
Must find another way to post pics as I don't do picpost sites.....

Hmm, maybe a link here - https://2strokeforum.com/thread/19915/a ... lTo=238267
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: ANNA. (Annanother GT550!)

Post by Craig380 »

I think you're breeding them rather than buying them, Alan :lol:

Not sure if it's the same on the 550s but on my old 380, I found the biggest problem with the factory exhausts was that carbon would build up where the header is welded to the silencer body on the left and right cylinder pipes. It seems to build up in a ring which, over time, restricts the ID of the pipe and robs power. I think it happens because the pipe is hot enough at the weld to bake the oily residue to a hard crust.

After trying a couple of caustic soda enemas (which removed some oily crap but didn't help performance), I got one of those springy drain-clearing snakes from a DIY shop and had a good poke down the headers. Together with some percussive maintenance from a rubber mallet, I got some big lumps of hard carbon out, literally the size of garden peas. The difference in performance afterwards was quite something.

Never seemed to have a problem with the centre cylinder exhausts.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

A few alterations and the front wheel rebalanced allowed an increase from top gear rpm of 5000 to 6500 without wheel bounce, but I might have to change the name to 'Loom' as it now does a slow weave at speed!! Checks on swing arm bearings might be needed!!!
Changed the gearchange led, and now the bike appears to have an 8 speed box when in 1st or neutral, and a 6 speed box when in any other gear. Mr. Canneloni sent another display to try, but it might be the switch, so that's a job for another day. Front brake is a bit squealy, but that should be cured with a squirt of wd40 I reckon.... 
Replaced the speedo cable and rerouted speedo & tacho cables with some of the wiring looms and clutch cable for better placement and aesthetic benefits too.
I adjusted the standard horn so it was at least audible, but it's gone back to a mere mousey squeek, so twin tones to fit there. B indicators to fit when they are polished up too.No end to it is there?.......
Runs well to 8000 rpm nicely though, now the fog has cleared. I reckon the bike has done more miles in the last month than it did in the past 3 years - and a good bit faster too! 
Updated pics here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... 09#p109709
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Annanother list of changes....(see what I did there)!)
Changed the early style indicators for 'B style' indicators. They aren't genuine ones, so it'll still upset the purists hopefully, although they do tend to keep away after our first chat for some reason! 
Changed the gearchange indicator display - after making sure it actually works - and of course it does (thanks Kev) but it appears the switch might need the contacts cleaning as 3rd & 4th only display as I'm changing up to the next gear. 
The fuel tap decided to go incontinent, so I bought a couple of these - ebay 234560236751 - fits most GS models (and GTs too) it appears, and less than £25 for two. Fitted & leak free. I have some nice chrome headlamp ear tops & bottoms to fit for a bit of bling, then I'll paint the ears as well - just a boring satin black 'cos that's what's in the cupboard...... 
Had the tank cap off and stopped that leaking too, but unfortunately not before the tank lacquer was upset, so it might need a respray, or not if it cleans up something like.
Still runs nice, but I'm not sure that I need 3 (very different) 550s, so what to do next?  :roll:
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Did you have to widen the tank opening for the plastic filler tube?

Only need 2 GT550s but have 3. Simple solution: buy another GT550.
Just think of it as maintaining the heritage of vintage two strokes — a running museum on the public roads.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

jabcb wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:16 am Did you have to widen the tank opening for the plastic filler tube?
No, because I didn't want the pain of washing the filings out of the tank, so I very carefully sloughed off a bit of the plastic so it went through the hole instead. I have a selection of grinders & linishers in the garage!!
Only need 2 GT550s but have 3. Simple solution: buy another GT550.
Just think of it as maintaining the heritage of vintage two strokes — a running museum on the public roads.
Well, I didn't really buy the 550B, I took it in p/x for the Hippo! :lol:
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Didn’t think of your solution. I’ve considered using a plastic filler tube petcock, but didn’t want to enlarge the tank opening.

Any thoughts on a rough percentage of the tube wall thickness you removed?
Don’t have grinders or finishers, but I’d consider giving it a try with a fine file & sandpaper.

A weakness of the original petcock is that those small filters are often missing (hidden somewhere in the tank) when you remove a used petcock.
The vacuum mechanism is after those missing small filters & before the removable bowl filter — this leads to crud screwing with the vacuum mechanism.

I’ve started using a smidgen JB Weld to secure the small filters. So far seems to work OK.

Totally understand the switch from a GT750 to a GT550 -- every year we seniors get older, the GT750 seems to get just a bit bigger.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Possibly only a mil or so - each side - until it 'just' fitted. Files are good, but I'll go the power way as I have solar panels which cost nowt to run - in daylight hours anyway!

The GS tap has a common ovaloid filter stack rather than a short'n'long pair of pipes for pri/on & res.

Well, I started with a 550J back in August '72 as a 21st birthday prezzy to myself. I was told at the time that it was the first one registered after the 'official' Suzuki bikes that were used as test mules for the biker press at the time. Saw the tests in Motor Cycle & MCN weeklies on the Wednesday and bought mine on Friday 25th August, near enough 50 years ago, so relevant to go to the Manx/Classic TT on my current 550J on Sunday.

I did - and do like the Hippo- especially the B that I had, but me drive out of the garage is uphill and the 550 is easier to manoeuvre there - and handles better anyway.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Decided to do some more tittivating on this one. The tank had been 'laquered', but gawd knows what with - so when a bit of fuel escaped the wrongly fitted tank cap seal, the so called laquer delaquered itself and made the tank look horrible. Dropped it down to a local painter man a couple of days ago and as the original Suzuki colour is nla, it looks like being Volkswagen Reflex Silver, which is as close as a very close thing. Of course the decals are different to the ones currently there, but ne'mind that.
I'll get the top yoke off and pretty the headlamp bowl & ears up with some fresh satin black, plus some chrome bits that I have spare. Anna will then probably get sold or p/x'd on for something that I can do a bit of touring on next year. Fancy a Moto Guzzi V85TT Travel, but as they have only been out 2 years, not many 2nd hand ones about. Nowt straightforward is there?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Updates here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... 5&start=10 - and pics!
Smokey, but running well and looks real pretty!
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

RS paints has color matches for the GT550 paints:
https://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/colou ... dyear=1972

Have also been giving the V85TT some thought. The early model has tubes -- they switched to tubeless.
Biggest issue is the lack of dealers in the US.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Done some smartening up recently - full details & pics on the original link.
I need to get it all done so it can be sold on very soon.
Front end all remantled & shiny! Powder coated bowl & 'ears' with new stainless ear bases, and new chrome tops there too.
I've left the LED headlamp on so there's a halo style running light on. Yes I know it's not standard, but I like it and as there's a lot of wiring in the headlamp bowl, and the led light is thinner, it fits easier.
While I was fettling, I took the side panels off and noticed that the starter solenoid was something off the ark and fastened on with tyraps, so I swapped it with a new one I bought for Emma and tidied it all up under there. Had a run up to Squires and the bike runs & handles well and the smoke cleared after a couple of miles! Needs some oil in the fork legs though as it's a bit boingy.
Next morning I noticed that there had been a small petrol leak out of one of the carb overflows, so that means the new tap I fitted is a dud.
Grrrr! Another chuffin' job!
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Which LED headlight did you use?

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Ebay 125667216229 or similar. Make sure they are 'proper' 7" lamps for Land Rovers, classic cars etc. They have a flat reflector, so give a bit more room in the headlamp bowl. If used in pairs (on a car) the yellow halo is an indicator, and the white halo is running/side lights.
Currently I have them on all my 550s, and I know they don't look 'right', but they have a halo riding light to let other road users see you, and very bright beams.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

I used a JW Speaker 8700 on the GT550 cafe build. Looks like it has around the same depth advantage.
It’s a really good US-made headlight & priced accordingly.
Similar look to your’s but without the halo.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE