T500 first time oil change, which ones are the drain bolts?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

lasse
On the main road

T500 first time oil change, which ones are the drain bolts?

Post by lasse »

Haven't been able to locate which ones are actually the drain bolt(s), through the various manuals.

Can someone point them out to me?
yeadon_m
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380B, GT550B, GT750A, GSX1400

Re: T500 first time oil change, which ones are the drain bol

Post by yeadon_m »

I don't know but on my three GTs, it's always the biggest bolt with its head parallel to the ground and NOT the angled bolt, which retains the gear detent spring. Cheers, Mike
Vince
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt500, GS1000S

Post by Vince »

there are 3 under there. The 2 towards the front of the engine and more or less beside each other are for the gear selector drum.
The Third is the one. It's set back and to the side of the other 2.

You can take out the other 2 but don't move the gear lever if you do.
If you take out all 3, make sure you replace each one where it came from.
lasse
On the main road

Post by lasse »

Great into on the bolts, thanks!

Now I've changed the throttlecable and so I have to adjust the oil pump, however when no throttle is applied the cable is completely slacked and the pump arm all the way to the rear. When I give full throttle, the two marks pass eachother. The cable is NOS, so the lengths should be correct.

Second issue, right hand side pipe is smoking more white than the left one. I've read this can be due to a defect crankseal, correct? If so, can it be changed without taking the crank out?
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

I seem to remember Pedro saying that removing all 3 bolts will help drain more of the old oil out......
It's normal for the oil pump arm to go all the way back, but it sounds like the cable is still too short if the mark on the arm is passing the static mark....have you got no adjustment left on the screw adjuster at the pump? Alternatively, can you slacken off the throttle cable at the handle bar, and take up the slack in the throttles on the carb tops?
Regarding the smoke from one pipe...I wouldn't automatically assume the worst until checking your ignition timing. It may be that one side is a few degrees out, or maybe you have some oily deposit in that pipe which is burning off?
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
lasse
On the main road

Post by lasse »

I will see if I can tinker with the cable like you suggest. But I wouldn't say the cable is too short, rather that the ratio on the throttle is too big, if you know what I mean.

In regards to ignition timing, I'm running an MZb, set at about 3mm BTDC.
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

question: just looking to clarify, my t500 says 1400cc on the side, so even from the drainscrew at the lowest point, I drained the one with the pin and the spring... I still only add 1400cc of oil?
( I don't have a dipstick on my bike, so I create my own once I've added the proper amount, so I needed to ask this, thanks in advance!)
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Suzuki didn’t move the level screw when they increased the oil level.
So the easiest way to get the correct level is to add enough so that its at the level screw.
Then add 200cc more.

Since you can see the oil level, you can make your own dipstick.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
bugspray
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt 500 x2

Post by bugspray »

Permit me to correct the infirmation about the level screw.
Let us suppose the early engines held 1,000cc,s oil in the transmission...when filling with 1,200cc the extra 200cc flows over dam into clutch case.
On 1,400cc cases 1,200 stays in transmission(higher dam) and 200 flows to clutch case so the level screw is still an acurate level indicator.
The rotating clutch pumps oil back to transmission continously.

If you loose 100cc,s of oil, the transmission will still be full with 1,000cc,s on early engines or 1,200 on modded or 1,400cc cases but the clutch
case will be 100cc,s low on either...the level screw is accurate for both cases.

Note that when the bike has been stopped for a long time oil will seep by the shifter shaft into clutch case and give a false HIGH reading.
Oil should be checked after running the bike.
If the bike consumes or leaks oil, the transmission stays full until the clutch case is empty, only then will it,s level go down.

Warren
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Ian has an explanation that’s better than mine.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9055&start=14

I wait until the oil stops coming out the the level screw hole, which would indicate that the level has equalized.
Then I put the screw back & add an additional 200cc.

My dipstick measurement is for a cold motor that’s been setting on the center stand for a some hours.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
bugspray
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt 500 x2

Post by bugspray »

I know it,s not evident...you have to sit in front of an open t500 case for a while to understand how the system works.
A hint is that the level screw is much lower than the dam height in the transmission. The transmission will be full to dam height even if you lost 100cc,s
of oil so the dip stick will still show full UNLESS the bike has been sitting for a while and oil has bleed by the shift shaft to clutch case.

If you check oil at the level screw after running the bike and it is at hole, the level is good. If you let the bike sit for a week and recheck you
will find the trans. level has dropped slightly and oil is above level screw on clutch case. Oil has slowly bleed through shifter shaft. If you run
the engine levels come back to normal.
If you rely on dipstick after a long shutdown you would overfill.
The level screw on clutch case is a good reading...that,s why SUZUKI left it there after the case mod to 1,400cc. The extra 200cc is kept
in the transmission by the higher dam.

Warren
PippiFyrecracker
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 T500, 1983 SP250

Post by PippiFyrecracker »

well I drained from both bolts this time, then measured out 1400cc and put it in, I thought I'd ask to be certain, cause I'm having a shift issue and when I peer down into where I put the oil, it looks lower than usual, but I must be remembering when it was hot...