Stupid question, but I don't care. Lol !

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pipelinepete
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500K

Re: Stupid question, but I don't care. Lol !

Post by pipelinepete »

jabcb wrote:Oregon Motorcycle Parts has a voltage regulator & rectifier that are direct replacements to the GT-series parts.
Voltage regulator VR3-SGT for $52: http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/vregulators.html
Rectifier R255-SGT for $48: http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/rectifiers3p.html

With an AGM battery, you don't need to charge them up as often. They hold the charge for much longer than conventional batteries. But I would recommend against using an older charger that wasn't labeled for use with an AGM battery.

I also use the Battery Tender Jr.
I took jabcb's earlier advice and replaced the OEM rectifier and regulator on my T500K rebuild with a Tympanium RR and a small Li battery. With some padding, both of these units fit perfectly into the stock battery box. With the engine at 1,500 rpm, voltage at the terminals reads 13.5V, which I believe is right on. The only thing I'm not sure of is how hot the Tympanium will get during normal use while buried in the box; I'll need to stop and check it (once riding season begins, that is).
Peter
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

pipelinepete wrote:I took jabcb's earlier advice and replaced the OEM rectifier and regulator on my T500K rebuild with a Tympanium RR and a small Li battery. With some padding, both of these units fit perfectly into the stock battery box. With the engine at 1,500 rpm, voltage at the terminals reads 13.5V, which I believe is right on. The only thing I'm not sure of is how hot the Tympanium will get during normal use while buried in the box; I'll need to stop and check it (once riding season begins, that is).
Peter
13.5V @ 1,500 rpm is good.

Not sure exactly what you did. But the padding might act as insulation and cause the Typanium to get quite hot.
Any reason why you didn't attach the Tympanium to the frame via the mounting points for the stock voltage regulator?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

I would suggest checking that for sure. I wouldn't trust any rectifier in that location. Not enough air. Then to add insulation around it, can't be good.
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

This is how I mounted the Typamium in my T500:
T500_tympanium.jpg
Just need to file the aluminum a bit so the bolts will pass through the Tympanum mounting points.

This solidly mounts it to the frame, which can then act as a heat sink.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Does that setup allow you to eliminate the regulator ? Only having the aftermarket rectifier and a better battery ?
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

pearljam724 wrote:Does that setup allow you to eliminate the regulator ?
The Tympanium is a rectifier/regulator. It replaces both the stock rectifier & stock voltage regulator.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pipelinepete
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500K

Post by pipelinepete »

jabcb wrote:
pipelinepete wrote:I took jabcb's earlier advice and replaced the OEM rectifier and regulator on my T500K rebuild with a Tympanium RR and a small Li battery. With some padding, both of these units fit perfectly into the stock battery box. With the engine at 1,500 rpm, voltage at the terminals reads 13.5V, which I believe is right on. The only thing I'm not sure of is how hot the Tympanium will get during normal use while buried in the box; I'll need to stop and check it (once riding season begins, that is).
Peter
13.5V @ 1,500 rpm is good.

Not sure exactly what you did. But the padding might act as insulation and cause the Typanium to get quite hot.
Any reason why you didn't attach the Tympanium to the frame via the mounting points for the stock voltage regulator?
I did try your mounting method, but (as you've indicated) it requires filing or enlarging holes, which I didn't want to do (wasn't sure how much "meat" was there - I've had bad experiences with this).

Does anybody know how hot a Typanium RR would get during normal use? I usually ride with the headlight on, which (I assume) doesn't leave a lot left for the Typanium to manage.

I can easily move the Typanium to the top if necessary.

Peter
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

pipelinepete wrote:I did try your mounting method, but (as you've indicated) it requires filing or enlarging holes, which I didn't want to do (wasn't sure how much "meat" was there - I've had bad experiences with this).
No frame mods were required.

Take a look at the two bolts attaching the battery box. The upper bolt (upper in the pic) is rotated to give the maximum room for the rectifier/regulator.

The mounting slot in the rectifier/regulator is too narrow for the other bolt to pass through. So I widened the slot where the bolt is. Its soft metal so it was easy to file.

The two bolts attaching the battery box are different lengths. The upper bolt (upper in the pic) needs to be shorter so that it can't touch the top of the battery.
pipelinepete wrote:Does anybody know how hot a Typanium RR would get during normal use? I usually ride with the headlight on, which (I assume) doesn't leave a lot left for the Typanium to manage.
The rectifier/regulator controls voltage by turning excess alternator output into heat. So the way you mounted & insulated it with padding, it could get quite hot when you go for a long ride at highway speed.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
RING_DING
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750 B-4 (JDM), 1975 GT750M

Post by RING_DING »

Pearljam, to get back to the origin of this topic, I for one (and I am sure there are many others) am extremely interested in your fix for battery acid stains on the pipes. Can you start a new thread on it when appropriate?
1973 Suzuki GT750K with Sidecar - Bonneville 2020
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

RING_DING wrote:Pearljam, to get back to the origin of this topic, I for one (and I am sure there are many others) am extremely interested in your fix for battery acid stains on the pipes. Can you start a new thread on it when appropriate?
I most certainly will bud. I work in the natural gas industry. Im starting for a new company within the next day or two and my time will be zero. I'll be working 16-18 hr days. During my first day off, my goal is to do that one particular pipe next. I just don't know when that will be. As long as the chrome hasn't flaked or eroded down to bare metal. You can make those acid stains disappear. I know, a lot of people find that impossible to believe. I wouldn't have believed it either. Had I not come across this. Give me a week or two and I'll start the thread. I won't forget. I owe it to the many of people who have kindly helped me in large quantities on this site. I'm anxious to show everyone, I just need time. It takes more than just a few minutes.
Image Image
ArticusMax
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GT550, GT500, GS750, GS1000

Post by ArticusMax »

Thanks Pearljam, I'm interested to see your report on the acid stains as well.
Good luck with the new job.
Art
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

ArticusMax wrote:Thanks Pearljam, I'm interested to see your report on the acid stains as well.
Good luck with the new job.
Art
Appreciate it, Max. It's not exactly a new job. Just a new company. I was expecting them to call today. But, they haven't. It will definitely happen, so therefore it may be tomorrow. Due to that, I'm gonna try my best to get to it tonight and post within a few days. If that doesn't happen, you know I got called and I'll follow the info I posted earlier. I was hoping to take pics in better light conditions so everyone has a better idea how my stains are. It's dark and gloomy here. But, I think a lit room should be alright. Oh, it won't be a report. Lol ! Just something I think you all will be impressed with the results.
Image Image