Suzuki T500 Restoration/Cafe Project

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

yeadon_m
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380B, GT550B, GT750A, GSX1400

Re: Suzuki T500 Restoration/Cafe Project

Post by yeadon_m »

Crazy though it sounds, there is very little duplication and its therefore almost impossible to plug the wrong bits together. Exceptions include getting the generator and rectifier (?) the wrong way round in the electrical plate (one location for the plug is stamped to make it easy, but you try spotting the stamping on a 40 year old bike...its the leftmost plug hole) and maybe a bullet or two in the headlamp.
If you have a whole loom, lay it out to get the orientation and it should make sense.
It is easier if its right off the bike sometimes, if its been mucked about on it already.
Cheers,
Mike
does this help? I do not own a 500 btw
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... =12&t=6344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Brown parking light -- Early T500 with flat bottom headlight had a second, small light bulb socket, which is inserted into the headlight reflector below the main heal lamp bulb. You bike is later, wouldn't have this. It should be an insulated female connector, you can leave it empty. Wouldn't hurt to wrap a piece of tape around it.

Yellows -- Interesting. from memory, there should only be one yellow wire, with a double connector (maybe 2 separate yellows). Power to that is controlled by high beam headlight switch - one connector for high beam in head lamp, the other for the high beam indicator on the tach.

Black/White -- These are all returns to ground. I would ohm them out with a meter to confirm they are connected to ground. You can always splice in more connectors, if some seem to have disappeared.
celt_rock
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT380, GS400

Post by celt_rock »

Thank you! It would have driven myself NUTs with that brown wire. As it turns out I didn't have more than enough spots for the b/w wire, just 40 year old eyes that missed one b/w sticking up in the back all by its lonesome.

My directional signals were a mess, the bike was left outside for so long the bulbs fused to the inner housing with rust. Glass is just too delicate to get a good grip on in order to free the rust so really the only good part of the directionals are the lenses. With that and the lack of space due to drag bars I made up a couple of brackets, fit some aftermarket lights and buttoned up the headlamp wiring. Fingers crossed!
Slow and steady may win the race, but without loud and fast it's just a waste
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Glad you got it all sorted. That hiding b/w wire is exactly the reason I felt a photo is of no help - those wires tend to hide amongst one another, blending in with their surroundings. takes a bit of handling and untangling, to really figure what is what.

My directional lights were probably in the same shape as yours. I still have them, but I bought a set from Hong Kong, and just swapped over the Suzuki lenses and put in new bulbs (don't trust the bulbs that come in the Asian knock offs - they come with cheaper, lower wattage bulbs, which don't draw enough current for the flasher unit to work properly).
celt_rock
To the on ramp

Post by celt_rock »

Well, as to be expected, nothing is as easy as it seems. Even with all the work on the wiring with the Ballistic Evo battery and the tympanium regulator I got it all put together, battery charged (I think), turned the key and nothing. No lights, no horn, no nothing. Could it possibly be that having the battery sit around for so long before finally opening it up to use it (about 2 years) makes it useless or is it just me that's useless. :cry:

On another note I hooked the fuel lines together, added a little non-ethanol to the tank in the thought of seeing if it would start just with the kick and a little gas and..... fuel started pouring out of the carburetors. I just replaced the gaskets in the pet cock. Obviously something's not right. I had it set to prime but didn't expect such an outpouring. I've got that all cleaned up and I've decided, after being at this all day, it's time to put it away for a bit.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Fuel pouring out of the carbs is a sure sign of float valves not seating. Could be stuck floats, bad float valves, or even the wrong gasket around the float bowl.

Don't know about your electrical woes. I doubt the battery is that dead. Do you have a fuse in it?

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
fodder
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 1965

Post by fodder »

I've been reading this great thread but it runs out before the end!

I'm hoping there is a happy ending to it all as I want to get myself a T500 project and this one looked like it was going to be a fantastic bike when finished.

Is there any update to the story?
Suzuki T20 1965
celt_rock
To the on ramp

Post by celt_rock »

Holy cow, it's been a LONG time since I had posted! Yes, there is a happy ending to the story. Got it all put back together and now it's running and living somewhere down in Virginia I believe. Here's a quick vid: https://youtu.be/MQ7WnKm4zEM

In the meantime I've been tackling a couple of Honda CB350s, a BSA 650 and I finished up my Honda XL250. All work and no play!

With that said, I think I still have a couple of T500 parts in the basement that I never used. I know I still have that jug puller somewhere if anybody needs it!