intro and GT550K question

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tunaglove
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AC50, GT550K, TL1000S, Z1B, G3SS, CB750, R5,

Re: intro and GT550K question

Post by tunaglove »

Hi guys, been a while....
Bike runs great, been enjoying the 2 stroke cruizing with the wife. The bike gets lots of attention! I think the vibrations are due to mixing earlier and later exhaust parts to get a finished bike. The later pipe parts seem to be a little "forced" to fit right, and transmit motor vibes. Bike runs great and I'm leaving it be and riding it. Thanks!
tunaglove
On the street

Post by tunaglove »

here's a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

How much vibration is acceptable? Mine idles fine But vibrates under 3000rpm... Also in the handlebar is that okay or is it possible to get it All smooth?
These engines vibrate like crazy at idle and just off idle. There's a bunch of physics behind this that I won't bore you with but you will never get a 3 cylinder engine to run COMPLETELY smoothly without a counterbalancer. You might want to get your carbs synched and make absolutely sure your timing is as close to correct as possible. As other posters have mentioned, your top end might need looking at if the carb synch and timing work doesn't tame your vibration. You may also want to look at your engine mount cush rubbers. They MAY be shot.
My all-stock 550A with 9K miles shows very little vibration through the bars above ~2000 RPM.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
tunaglove
On the street

Post by tunaglove »

Many many miles later still going strong.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Hopefully the vibration is better. The rubbers where the exhausts mount at the rear can go hard and transmit vibrations. Check here - https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm - then click on year, model, muffler, for exploded diagram.
Neither my 550J or 550A vibrate much at any revs over tickover and I fitted thin rubber sheet between the rear mounts too.
Nice looking bike btw.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.