T500 Electronic Ignition

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: T500 Electronic Ignition

Post by rbond »

R3tr074, check this site (Sundial) for the GT500 CDI thread. There is everything you need to build or have built, a CDI box for the GT500. Cost should be $15.00 to $60.00, depending on where you get the parts from. Mine has been running on one board for three years now!
LexPaul
On the main road

Post by LexPaul »

jabcb wrote:LexPaul, for future reference by forum members would help if you provide:
1) a sketch with dimension of your "washers"
2) a sketch or pic showing how you drilled out the sensor plates.

Did you also upgrade to a modern regulator/rectifier?

I will get some more of the washers made, I sold next to last one this week. I will have the machinist write up specs and post them. I am not a mechanic, can you give me more details on this regulator/rectifier, and a picture of what it is and what I want to do. Thanks so much,

Ride hard
1970 Suzuki T500 Titan Twin
1971 Yamaha HS1B 90cc Twin
1975 Suzuki TS125 Rolling Project
1974 Yamaha DT250 Rolling Project .5
LexPaul
On the main road

Post by LexPaul »

diamondj wrote:Lex,

I would be interested in two of the washers - I have a SU7 kit and an SU2 which was for the T250 but physically the same as the SU7. Please PM me with your info.

Also, you may want to consider having the stator rewound to provide more watts which will allow you in turn to upgrade to a higher watt headlamp bulb. There's a shop in Colorado that does this:

Mayers Motorcycle Electrical Service
77 Hoosier Ct
Nederland, CO 80466
303-258-0213

Kevin Mayer
kevin777motorcycles AT yahoo DOT com

I think they used to charge about $185 to do this which is still cheaper than a powderdymo system particularly since you've already got the Newtronics in and working...

Jim
Jim,

I will contact you once I have the machinist make up another lot of these washers. Can you give me a picture of this stator and any other info I might need. I am not a mechanic so thanks for the help.

Ride Hard
1970 Suzuki T500 Titan Twin
1971 Yamaha HS1B 90cc Twin
1975 Suzuki TS125 Rolling Project
1974 Yamaha DT250 Rolling Project .5
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

Are things stated here from 2012 still the state of choices for solid state ignitions? Can anybody advice what they have used since, how they like it. Was it easy to install: just follow instruction or are there some tips to install that would be good to know in advance. Not sure what is still available and what is known to be reliable and of good quality.

Thanks
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
tricky1962
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500J

Post by tricky1962 »

I've just fitted the SU7 Newtronic kit to my T500.

Some fettling was required, but it seems to be running well now after 500 miles or so.

The fettling required was:-

Both sensor backing plates needed the outer edges filed so that the plates would fit on the rotor. Done with a hand file and a fair amount of time.

An M5 or M6 washer (can't remember which) had to be placed under the Newtronic drive bobbin so that the timing plate would clear the optical sensors. The washer needed a slot filing in it to clear the drive pin.

The left hand plate timing was straightforward, but the one for the right hand cylinder needed it's slots extending and ultimately a new M4 thread tapped into the rotor to get the timing right.

The wiring is straightforward, but messy where it joins the main loom and could do with a bespoke connector.

I am slow and had minimal tools to work with, it therefore took me about 5 hours all in to fit and I still need to improve the wiring at some point in the future.
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

tricky1962:

Does this agree with your experience as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a1GEY_W5Og" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have experience with these?:

Marel's: http://www.suzukitandgtparts.nl/hotpartsen.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Can't see how much it cost's or how to order?)

Powerdynamo: http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/ ... 61main.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Looks nice.. expensive HVCCycle much more $ than Jim Lomis). Anyone else sell these?

Please keep experiences and options coming

Thanks
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
tricky1962
To the on ramp

Post by tricky1962 »

Hi

Not far off, but I did have to do more filing and some drilling and tapping that didn't appear in the video. Also note the dodgy wiring wrapped in insulation tape above the coils in the video - mine looks like that too.

Re; Marcel's kit, it is E199 - so about £165 or thereabouts.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I would fit electronic ignition again in a shot - I have a GT550 in bits at the moment and that will almost certainly get EI once it's running. However, the Newtronics kit still needs development. I saw a poor excuse somewhere about the ignition system on T500s varying in size hence their kit needing modifying.

This is nonsense given that the Suzuki parts book

http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/T500parts/image21.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gives the same part numbers for the '69-'72 bikes points base plates etc.

If you don't mind a bit of fettling, Newtronics will do the job, but if you don't fancy that then it would appear other options are available.
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

tricky1962 wrote:Re; Marcel's kit, it is E199 - so about £165 or thereabouts.
What is Marcel's kit?

The Powerdynamo seams nice and the twins headlight output is poor and nice improvement. Anybody use this yet? Where did you buy it and how much?

I have had very good luck with points through out my life. But I must agree as of recent they have been giving me a fit of troubles on the twins and have wasted a lot of time this year.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
tricky1962
To the on ramp

Post by tricky1962 »

Marcel's kit looks like Hall Effect from the photo
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

Vintageman wrote:Are things stated here from 2012 still the state of choices for solid state ignitions? Can anybody advice what they have used since, how they like it. Was it easy to install: just follow instruction or are there some tips to install that would be good to know in advance. Not sure what is still available and what is known to be reliable and of good quality.

Thanks
Not a kit option but if you like to go your own way..... I am using an igntitech programmable TCi unit http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm combined with their IP6 pickups http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/acces ... ick-up.htm. I needed new coils so used thier TCI-S coils http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/accessories/ic/ic.htm, but being a TCI system it should drive OEM coils OK when converting from a points driven system.

Clearly not plug & play, requires some adapters (I can supply CAD model if interested) to fit the pick up coils in place of points, the basic rotor disc came from Ignitech, but had to make a boss to support it and time it in place of the old points cam. I rewired the bike and modernized the electrics so loom is non standard. Alternator is standard but all three coil pairs are wired to the Rec/Reg so no longer switched through the main switch. Mechanically fully reversible too if I wanted to go back to points and use the ignition on something else.

The advance curve is a conservative copy of the elecrex world race ignition curve with a farily sharp retard at 7K RPM to avoid detonation. One day I might get it on to a dyno to develop proper advance curve. But it runs nice as is, and must be less of a compromise than static timing. Big chunk of retard at low RPM plus the option to skip the spark on the first revolution means it starts real easy

Without the coils cost was Euro 168, which at the time (pre BREXIT vote) was good value <£120GBP + a bit of effort to make the bits to fit. They currently list the ignition only 141 USD + shipping.

Here's what it looks like at the business end.

Each pick up sits on its own base so they can be adjusted for position independently, which in hindsight is OTT as timing on cyls #2 can be offset electronically from #1 to compensate for the crank or pick up being a little bit out of phase.

Always make me smile to see an 45 year old stock looking bike hooked up to a laptop too. 8)
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

I purchased the Powerdynamo from Lomas and about $140 less than HVCCycle... even with shipping from UK to USA. hr USED TNT with tracking and eta of 5-7 days and shipped same day.

I do like the idea of being able to put a more powerful headlight, plus fresh coil pack and regulator.

Didn't some later OEM head lights state 25W/35W and not the 25W/25W and will fit in my 1974 GT250 bucket. Part#?

I'll see how it goes.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
smokin_blue
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: www.street-unique.com

Post by smokin_blue »

I bought the power dynamo a year ago... I still need to install it so I can't speak to the install other than I do have the concerns that were voiced earlier about not being hard keyed to the crank so getting the initial set up could be a little work but it sounds like once you get it, it is a solid kit.

Now I am in the states but I chose to buy it direct from them at

https://www.powerdynamo-shop.com/shop/s ... cts_id=271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with the strength of the dollar it was way cheaper than buying it from any US distributor. Shipment was one week and I had no customs charges. I saved about $125 off from the cheapest US distributor.
'07 Suzuki SV650
'90 GSX-R1100 streetfighter
LS650 powered custom framed café
'72 T500 with a Lyster frame
'69 T500-parts/project?
'83 GR650-project

Past bikes
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'86 GSX-R750
'74 GT250/T350 custom
'79 GS750
'74 TS250
'81 TS100
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

Mine came in yesterday. Fast. I didn't catch the fact it was not keyed.

Maybe evol02still checks here and can explain how he dealt with it.

It may be a while before I put mine on. I found my issue on my 74Gt250/T350. it was a bad condenser which I recently changed. It was an aftermarket set bought OEM this time

I bought a 1971 gold colored T350 a few months back and will put into that bike which is one next projects. I do see the flywheel does seam heavy and larger and will add significant inertia versus stock maybe better for a T500. Oh well it may not be choice for quick response/racing but extra mass may be good for street (what I do). Also I like the idea it has a nice generator.
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

I have been using the Powerdynamo racing (no coil for lighting) version on my Seeley T500. The abscence of a key on the rotor is no problem. Simply set your left hand piston to your designated position at TDC and place the rotor on the taper so the marks align with the one on the stator and tighten down either the bolt (T500 crank) or nut (GT500 crank). Fine tune by moving the backplate if necessary. Pretty straight forward and I have never had the rotor move on the taper.

Cheers Geoff
samandkimberly
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 sidecar

Post by samandkimberly »

I just installed my second PowerDynamo system. The first went on my race bike - it worked great until I sold it...for all I know its working fine now. The second is on my street sidecar outfit; I'm just installing it now. PowerDynamo customer support has been excellent, delivery was fast, instructions great. This one has a capacitor built into the voltage regulator, so it can be run w/o a battery too. Still not sure where to put the timing on this; I've posted another msg on this forum to get opinions on points vs PEI timing. I'm pretty sure I'll go with 3.4mm.

I'll post an update after I ride it this weekend.

Sam