Brake light switch

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TC
On the street

Brake light switch

Post by TC »

1973 GT 750, brake light switch on the front brake mounts below, on the master cylinder. Screws are broken and I do not see anything that would compete the circuit even if I put it back on with new screws. No problem, I thought Ill just go to my other 73 and see what makes that tick. Well to my surprise, there was no switch, and no place for a switch on that master cylinder. What is going on? The same cap is on both cylinders, so I think they are both Suzuki, is one for a different model that has been switched before I got them? Any help would be gratefully accepted.

tc
When in doubt, smoke it out!
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

The switch is a loop, the spring loaded brass contact slider fitted in the lever goes onto the two metal connection rails on the bakelite piece to complete the circuit when the lever is pulled. It sounds like you're missing some parts from the switch on the bike.
You need to get the switch assy off and somehow get out the broken off screws so you can mount new ones.
Please post a pic of the master unit without the switch, some markets didnt get front brake switches till a few years after 72 and you may have one of those types on that other bike...
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
TC
On the street

Post by TC »

Thanks, Allan, The switch is apart, but there is no spring loaded slider, you just look up in the groove, and see the lever. So I guess there is some parts missing. Never had much luck posting pics, but will try to get on of the other m/c. Thanks again,

tc
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

switch

Post by rbond »

Take a look at 'parts-n-more' for the GS series of items. There is a switch there that is about $6.00 as compared to $20.00 something for an OEM.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

If you are not doing a resto, there is a great alternative to that hard to adjust mechanical switch. Get one of these. DennisKirk part number 210369. Use it to replace the banjo where tthe line mounts to the MC. Run the wires down the bars and just plug it in where the original switch plugged in.

That what I used when I converted the rear to disk on my cafe bike. Works great!!

TC
On the street

Post by TC »

Hey thanks guys. rbond that looks like what I got. 'Yote that is a sweet clean way for a brake light switch...................................AND, how in the reign of sweet Jesus to you post a pic on this forum? Any instructions anywhere? I am somewhat foolish but I really thought in three and one half hours I could have manipulated at least on pixal into this cusid message!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

tc
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

You need to have an account like photobucket, post the pic there and then link it to here from there.
I like the electrical/hydraulic pressure switch idea but those style of units can and do leak over time so im not too happy about that part of the deal.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

TC, check with your ISP. Many offer free web space. That's what I use. Then all you have to do is insert the complete link to the photo, highlight the line and click the [img] tab.
There is no way to post a pic directly to this board. It must be 'hosted' externally.
TC
On the street

Post by TC »

[Image[/img]
Well, look at that.

tc
TC
On the street

Post by TC »

This should be the master cylinder without the switch, from the bottom
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Coyote wrote:If you are not doing a resto, there is a great alternative to that hard to adjust mechanical switch. Get one of these. DennisKirk part number 210369. Use it to replace the banjo where tthe line mounts to the MC. Run the wires down the bars and just plug it in where the original switch plugged in.

That what I used when I converted the rear to disk on my cafe bike. Works great!!
Cool Coyote! That is what I need for TMB. The set up I have is fugly.