GT550 Cafe project

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

imquattro
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72/74 GT550

Re: GT550 Cafe project

Post by imquattro »

Thanks for all your suggestions, keep 'em coming!

The boys got the motor into the frame today (hopefully for the last time in a while!).

The turn signals were mounted (maybe a bit preemptive but couldn't wait). They're brushed aluminum w/ smoked lenses that blink orange.

So here's the area I'm thinking we'll try to put all the electrical goodies.

And I think I'm going to lower the front end an inch or two too.

So I fished out the old electrical systems from the storage bins and yuk, they were cruddy!

And after a bit of cleaning:

I think this one's from the '72:

And this one's from the '74:
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

For my own project I plan to make a tray for the electrical stuff under the seat between the top rails. And I have ordered one of those stainless drink bottles for the oil. Not entirely sure about how and where to mount it yet.
This is what a guy I met did: Image
He fills it through a cut out in the seat Norton style.
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

I've contemplated doing the stainless container, even had a pair of them in my cart at Big Lots ($4 for a pair) a couple times now. What holds me back is finding a breathable lid and nipple attachment that A)doesn't leak and B) doesn't need welded in (container's metal is too thin for my welder -it'd burn right through it, although I probably could find someone to braze it in.).
But I'm liking the fender/tank idea.... I have a couple spare rear fenders..... hmmmm.

On another note:
How much resistance as a battery do I need to keep in the system if I'm converting it to kick start?
I've read about using capaciters and such but also read the drawbacks of not having enough resistance.

I'm considering this micro battery by Ballistic:
80 Cold Cranking Amps in the smallest motorcycle battery on the market.
Measures approx: 50mm(L)x50mm(W)x 82mm(H) or 2" L x 2" W x 3.25" H
Weight is .5 lb (half of a pound or 8oz.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230740225219?ss ... 1436.l2649

It's small enough to tuck near anywhere (they do make higher capacity ones of the same size for a bit more $ and I may go that route to keep the starter....)

Opinions???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Maybe I'm all wet, but I would be careful about mounting the oil tank too low. In OEM configuration, the tank outlet is above the oil pump. This leads me to believe the oil is gravity fed. I don't think these pumps have the ability to 'pull' anything. Just push.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

I think you're right, but it'd have to be level w/ the motor not to have some push in the tank down the line to the pump. I'd like to have it up by the seat.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Coyote, your are correct. Early GT750 pumps included a suction plunger but that was eliminated. They are gravity fed and the outlet has to be higher than the pump.

Looking at the GT500 with the electrics in a tray between the frame rails. A thin tank just below that following the same shape would work fine. It would hang down probably 1 - 2inches to have enough volume. It would be inconspicuous mounted there. The tank should also be rubber mounted to stop it cracking.

A tank can be fabricated out of fairly thin sheet steel and weld in a bung and filler neck. Check out the large version on this thread for ideas on a DCM SR Yamaha
http://www.sr500forum.com/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the finished article. SHould give you some ideas.

imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

Having never ridden a two stroke motorcycle, what's the ideal oil tank size? What's the consumption rate (I know its throttle dependent but roughly how many miles per qt?).
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

You tip in a 1 liter (quart) bottle at a time,so 1.5 quarts is adequate. Just to work out some numbers here. At say 50:1 that's 1 quart of oil per 50 quarts of gas (over 12 gallons). At say 30 MPG that would be around 375 miles using those basic numbers.

2 liters would give you 750 miles per tank. Modify those numbers as you think appropriate.

It's your call but 2 quarts should be fine.

Here's what I hid on my GT750 under the seat behind the new slimmer side covers

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

On my GTX-R bike i used a lawn edger gas tank for the oil tank and added a level sensor as it was in the tail out of sight Image
the older i get the faster i was
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

Thanks for all the oil tank suggestions!

I think, for sake of $ and abilities, I'm going to compromise and do the stainless water bottle tank behind the rear upright.
Minimalist approach in lots of ways.
More to come on that.

Over the past couple days I've been quite busy with life and haven't had much time to work on the bike.
I did get around to working on the hand levers.
They were mismatched and quite weathered.
So I degreased them and here's prior to blasting:

Prior to blasting, I disassembled them and removed the switch & it's components.

Here's after blasting, polishing, and painting:

Working on shortening the cables next...
Thats all for now...
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

While still debating what to do w/ the cables, I decided to do something with the front fender.

The original '72 front fender was in decent shape but looking grandpaish with the rubber mud guard and reflectors.
I also didn't like the supports in the front & back.

So I used a coffee can lid to trace a profile across the surface of the fender one lid length from the center of the mounting point to the front and 1.5 lid lengths from the center mounting point for the rear.

I then used the 14" metal chop saw to removed the "extra" material. I clamped on the portion that won't be kept so the clamping wouldn't scratch the kept portion.

The I used the verticle belt sander to remove/trim down the fender to the profile line.

Here it is after the trimming, but before cleaning.

I'm pretty satisfied how it came out.

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Looking real sporty :up: I am a bit wondering about contact with the headlight at full compression tho ?
the older i get the faster i was
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

Suzukidave wrote:I am a bit wondering about contact with the headlight at full compression tho ?
I'm 160lbs and don't believe I'll ever ride it in a manner that will fully compress the suspension.
Does that happen much for you?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Seems to only take the combination of braking + a bad Pennsylvania pothole to fully compress the GT-series forks.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Allan k
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT125 SV650 GT550

Post by Allan k »

Damn... Cant wait to see this one finished! I must say i do use some the tips and tricks you use, on my own gt 550...

Im not in the details As you, cause of the summer comming here in Denmark, so im in time pressure to get it out rolling.

You Can se my project here
http://Www.allansgarage.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2-strokes are full of speed,
4-strokes are full of parts!