GT550 Cafe project

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

imquattro
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72/74 GT550

Spokes polished.

Post by imquattro »

Well, at 3 minutes a spoke start to finish + 1 minute a nipple. (x72 each) = :shock:
How did I get all that time in???
Well, all the spokes are de-corroded and polished. There's still a small bit of residue from the buffer on each that needs to be wiped off prior to clear coating or whatever I decide to do.
Before & after (looked WAY worse in person).

Rear spokes:

Whole set (front & rear + nipples):
Joiseygirl
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: GT550 Cafe project

Post by Joiseygirl »

They're looking good! :up:
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Very nice. What did you decide to plate/coat them with to prevent rusting? Raw steel does rust pretty quickly.
imquattro
To the on ramp

AP-120 followed by GLISTEN PC -both by POR-15

Post by imquattro »

tz375 wrote:Very nice. What did you decide to plate/coat them with to prevent rusting? Raw steel does rust pretty quickly.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

POR-15 say that Glisten can be used over regular steel, so that's good. It won't be a huge saving over replacement spokes but it will avoid throwing away usable metal and that has to be a good thing.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

What would it cost to just put a zinc coating on them ?
the older i get the faster i was
imquattro
To the on ramp

Post by imquattro »

Suzukidave wrote:What would it cost to just put a zinc coating on them ?
Zinc coating isn't glossy & bright (like chrome & nickle) from what I've seen.
I picked up a can of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray paint, supposedly 98%+ zinc. It was on sale locally for around $4, an example can be seen here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Spray.htmlImage
I was thinking it was a clear coating, or a coating that could be cleared over.
Not so. It was a grey powder that wiped right off when dry. Painting over (only latex paint!) wasn't an option.
(anyone need some cold-galvanizing paint? :roll: )

SO, zinc coating is not an option for me.
imquattro
To the on ramp

Picture of cylinder walls

Post by imquattro »

Suzukidave wrote:Could you take a picture down the cylinder as it would be interesting if the one set is the chrome bore ones with the different porting .
Sorry, didn't see this post...
I'll take a shot for you later this week and post back.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I tried clear coating spokes. There is no way to work them through the hub without scraping some of the clear off. That puts you back to square one. There is really nothing you can do short of powder coating, and that would cost more than a shiny new set. I threw in the towel and bought new. All that work and time (polishing) for nada. :(
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

imquattro wrote:
SO, zinc coating is not an option for me.
I was think more along the lines of plating http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this would also come in handy for the other grubby nuts n bolts on the engine and frame .
the older i get the faster i was
22Garnet22
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500

Post by 22Garnet22 »

First off, kudos for involving some students. I'm 19 and years ago had a power mechanics class. There was a bike in the shop but we didn't work on it. After working on my GT500 I realized that if we got to work on that bike, I would have gotten into motorcycles way earlier.

My dad's just getting materials in for zinc plating some bolts and stuff for 1 or 2 of his bikes and from what I understand about it zinc plating isn't as "nice" as chrome but it doesn't fall too short. I think that combined with the DIY aspect makes it pretty viable for some people.

Cheers!
Garnet
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Correct. Zinc plating is a flat finish and lacks teh shine of polished stainless stell or chrome, but it's a good compromise between long term protection, looks and cost.

We have had dozens of sets of spokes plated over the years and some were chrome. Luckily they didn't snap and they looked great but they tend to rust inside the nipples worse that zinc plated spokes. We've used Buchanans stainless spokes where we didn't have the spoke length or diameter on hand to lace up a particular combo of rim and hub, they are good but not cheap.

Zinc plating is reasonably cheap if there's a good plating shop near you. We have one in Chicago and send stuff by the box load. What we tend to do is to clean ALL the hardware for a bike and send that all in as one lot. Some is barrel plated and some they wire and they heat treat it all. Once had a batch not heat treated and those spokes break regularly.
imquattro
To the on ramp

Too much $

Post by imquattro »

Any and all decent plating kits that would produce a bright shiny finish are too much $.
A new set of spokes and nipples (chrome or stainless) are over $100.
imquattro
To the on ramp

I can powdercoat as I have the equip, but my concern is:

Post by imquattro »

Coyote wrote:There is really nothing you can do short of powder coating, and that would cost more than a shiny new set. (polishing) for nada. :(
Powderbuythepound.com has nice powder for really nice deals.
I have the equipment but also don't want to run into a fitment issue due to the coating.
Then theres the issue of the threads on the spokes & nipples. You shouldn't powdercoat them assembled because they'll most likely mar when disassembling for lacing the wheel.
So.... catch 22... it'll look nice prior to assembly, but probably get semi-scratched after being laced.
My next thought would be to powdercoat the wheel (clear) after being laced & trued.
Not sure how the 400F will affect the truing....
AGGHHHH! needs more $ - a new set of spokes would have eleviated all this.... but then again, I like troubleshooting all these details... it's too easy in my book (and feels like a cop-out) to just buy new and install. That's lame, and anyone can do that (with-in reason).
:)
imquattro
To the on ramp

Picture of cylinder walls

Post by imquattro »

imquattro wrote:
Suzukidave wrote:Could you take a picture down the cylinder as it would be interesting if the one set is the chrome bore ones with the different porting .
Sorry, didn't see this post...
I'll take a shot for you later this week and post back.
Here's a shot of the inside of the 72's bore, looked chromed in some areas, but could have been ring wear on the cylinder wall:

Here's a shot of the inside of the 74's bore (crosshatching not visible on photo but easily seen in person).