now with ceramic coated chambers 02/02/09 Jaybob's 550

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jaybob
To the on ramp

cylinders

Post by jaybob »

Kevin

Yes I have been talking to that guy. In fact before he listed those cylinders I asked him about them and told him I was interested.

So once the guy knew I was interested in the whole set, he listed them separately. Kind of irked me a little but hey they are his parts to sell how he chooses.

So I decided to let them close with no bids. I guess the rest of the buyers must have thought they were a little high also.

So we will see what happens now. I sent him a note after the auctions were closed to ask him if he would be interested in bargaining a little bit.

I'm in no hurry. I've seen plenty of 550 cylinders on ebay and if he does not want to deal then another set will pop up sooner or later.
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Good enough.

I just thought you might rather have a matched set off one bike, instead of a couple from one place, and another from somewhere else. Sometimes you can find some deals on ebay if you are not in a hurry. Three years ago I bought a locked up 550 engine in a frame there for $29. I spent more than that in gas to pick it up. The crank was trashed due to corrosion, but the rest was fine. That's why I only have a middle and right cylinder, I used the left one off it on my bike.

The guy may be willing to negotiate now since no one even bid.

Kevin
iagsxr
On the street

Post by iagsxr »

Jaybob,

Where you at?

Looks like my bike's gonna have a twin('cept yours is nicer)

Is that the bike that was on the Des Moines Craigslist a few weeks ago?

I have a set of cylinders. Not sure if I want to let them go.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Wow!! that is a nice bike. I hardly think mine is any better than yours. Those are some nice pipes. I wish I had gotten mine chromed. What brand pipes are they. They look like Jemco's but the head pipe is a little different shape than mine.

I didn't see the one in DesMoines lately. Good thing I might have bought it. I do know where there is a GT750 in Desmoines... I found this one in the Cedar Rapids Craigslist back in September.

I am in Cedar Rapids. Aren't you out in Vinton or Urbana?

You are right the two bikes will be twins. Would be fun to meet and compare machines when the weather is warmer. I like the air filter arrangement you have. I think I remember reading your mention of it at some point.

Jason
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

WOW!!! iagsxr, with that honkin' big filter on there that sucker will have more intake noise than an H2....and that's goin' some !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
iagsxr
On the street

Post by iagsxr »

H2RICK wrote:WOW!!! iagsxr, with that honkin' big filter on there that sucker will have more intake noise than an H2....and that's goin' some !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
H2RICK,

I don't notice it. Of course it's the only intake setup I've ever ran on the bike so I don't know the difference. LOL

Jaybob,

I remember seeing your bike on Craigslist. Looked nice.

Think my chambers are J+Rs. Got them off eBay a couple years ago.

I'm in Vinton. Have another 75 in pieces(rough). If you need anything don't be shy.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

H2RICK wrote:WOW!!! iagsxr, with that honkin' big filter on there that sucker will have more intake noise than an H2....and that's goin' some !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that's a lot like the Y-boot/K&N rig many RDs have. They work so well, that you have to increase the mains from 140 to 250 or better. Huge difference.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Found some more pictures of a black 550 cafe bike.

This is not mine.......but it looks really cool

I think I may get my pipes ceramic coated as I found a local shop that will do it for about 80-90 per chamber.
iagsxr
On the street

Post by iagsxr »

jaybob wrote:I think I may get my pipes ceramic coated as I found a local shop that will do it for about 80-90 per chamber.
Do that. I've talked with them about doing a 4 into 1 for me. You be the guinea pig :D

Actually I've talked with them a couple times. Once at the Hawkeye Downs swapmeet when they were just getting going and on the phone about that other pipe I have. They seem like good guys. I'm always just leary about turning my stuff over to people that I haven't seen a quantity of their work.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

I'm going to have as much or more in the pipes than I paid for the whole bike. LOL!!

Actually My Dad runs Riverside Sports Cars in Swisher. He has already been the guinea pig as some of his customers have gotten the process done on some old Triumphs and MGs. No complaints yet!!

Just a matter of money. Hope my overtime keeps up.....
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

new pics in first post
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Lookin' good Jaybob!