Best(and or cheapest) place to buy................

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

djfisher22
To the on ramp

Best(and or cheapest) place to buy................

Post by djfisher22 »

I'm cleaning up my other projects and I want to hit the buff and finish it up so I made a list of goodies to get rollin.

I don't want crappy parts,I want best bang for my buck, maybe someone who's been there can save me a morning of emails and phonecalls. I think I can get 18% discount from my local Suzuki dealer. If any of this is crap please let me know.............

72 GT750

water hose kit (HVC cycles $35 or dealer?)
Fuel cap gasket(HVC $12 or?)
Tail lamp lens (partsnmore $12 or?)
side cover grommets (HVC 6 for $20 or?)
petcock rubber kit HVC$30 or?)
SRIS lines (dealer)

And here's a big one.......

Points and condensors (partsnmore $33 total)
I've read folks say only buy factory points but they are like $30 or $40 a set I seem to remember.
On partsnmore I can buy a BoyerBransden iggy for $175. Any advice????

All the prices are plus shipping.
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

DJ, here's what my experience tells me:

Water hose kit = probably all aftermarket hoses, IMO. How correct would they look ?? It's your call.
Cap gasket = about right for genuine part
Tail lamp lens = probably correct price for an aftermarket item. If it's genuine, however, snap it up...and maybe 2 or 3 spares as well IF/IF they ARE the correct lens for the 2 bulb taillight.
Side cover grommets = about right for genuine parts IF/IF they're genuine.
Petcock rubber kit = about right for complete aftermarket overhaul kit.
SRIS lines = I would stick with the factory stuff if for no other reason than appearances. There have been guys that have used polyurethane lines for this purpose but the dimensions are not correct (clear lines look funny, too) and neither are the clamps they have to use to hold everything in place.

Points and condensers = correct for Daiichi aftermarket pieces.....but they will NOT last like the original Nippon Denso items. It's your call entirely.

Boyer Bransden = looks like a FAIRLY GOOD price...but not rock bottom, IMO. Boyer makes good stuff BUT check with the vendor to make sure he is selling the correct iggy for the Buffalo. A lot of guys will try to sell you the Boyer iggy setup for Kawis which use a smaller diameter mounting plate. The instructions tell you to clean all the projections off your STOCK Buffalo points plate, drill/tap some holes and then use it as a sub-base to mount the Boyer plate. Obviously there is no resurrecting your stock plate after this is done.
I had heard that Boyer has re-released the correct system for the Suzi triples including the larger diameter mounting plate but I have no direct personal knowledge of this. More research is required on your part. Caveat emptor.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

Thankyou!
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

h2okettle
On the main road

Post by h2okettle »

H2RICK wrote:Points and condensers = correct for Daiichi aftermarket pieces.....but they will NOT last like the original Nippon Denso items. It's your call entirely.
DJ.. I have tried those points a few years back and what Rick is saying is "very" true.. I was constantly adjusting them, and on a road trip it was not fun.. Factory Suzuki are the best, but you pay over $100 for the set and condensors.. I put the "new" Newtronics on mine and have over 30K trouble free miles.. The bike starts quickly and idles right away.. I pulled the points cover once to check with a timing light and it was still perfect.. It cost more, but its a one time deal..

Allen..... GT rideaholic
Triplerocky
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380m, gt380a, ts400b

Post by Triplerocky »

True...Daichi are goods, Suzuki are better but after 150 € of points I bought the Improved Newtronic which has the new steel plate and electronic, easy to mount and works like promised, perticularly the engine response is now far better than before.

€ 185 from Erik Potze, Holland.

'75 GT380M
'77 GT380B
'77 TS400B
('74 GT380 is gone at 2300 euros)
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

If I spring for a Newtronics any advice as to where to get one in the US reasonable? I've found them in England for $238.49 to my door. Is that about as good a price as I'll find in the US?
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

For that sort of money there are several modern electronics systems available.

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm do a fully programmable unit with single pickup.

Marcel offers a non programmable unit

Accent in Germany offer an all on the one board system

Boyer still offer their '70's design

Pirahna/Newtronic was redesigned recently I believe and iron Butt Allen has thousands of trouble free mileage on his.
robert campbell
Around the block

Post by robert campbell »

I want to convert my 1975 GT-750 to electronic ignition. Not saying that money is no object, but I want the best one out there right now. Also looking for a US source and the right part number so I get the right unit!! Do not mind the box for the Newtronic in the above pictures. I am not a purist and do not care about putting it back stock.

Rob
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

robert campbell wrote:I want to convert my 1975 GT-750 to electronic ignition. Not saying that money is no object, but I want the best one out there right now. Also looking for a US source and the right part number so I get the right unit!! Do not mind the box for the Newtronic in the above pictures. I am not a purist and do not care about putting it back stock.

Rob
'Best' is pretty subjective :D :D I think I can get away with saying that the two most common ones are the Boyer Bransden and the Newtronics which will cost you +/- $200 USD (Boyer is normally cheaper at about $180 and the Newtronics can be found for about $212). After that are options like the Ignitech that Richard mentioned. The link to Marcel's page is here and his is about $275 USD. If you want exotic, Erik has the TR750 racing kit for about $726 USD - or you can make your own - Richard has some 'how-to' on his Pink Possum site 8) 8)

I have two bikes (550 and 750) running on Boyer's and they work great - and I still have a couple of kits on the shelf which I plan to install eventually in a couple of the others. A common complaint is that you have to butcher your points plate - I know of at least one guy who mounted the plate they include in the kit, by just clamping it at the three mount points with some stainless washers and it seems to work OK.

For my 1972 I may try the Newtronics, although to be brutally honest, points work fine for the mileage that I do in a season :shock:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

I was kinda thinking that way Ian. Electronic sounds sexy but the lions share of miles will be on my ZRX. My riding bud has a 74 Buffalo and he really doesn't like riding with me on the rex. He says it'll be cool with both of us on antique Suzukis. I think he doesn't like thrashing his bike so hard trying to keep up. :wink:
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2

elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

I just got one from Marcel that I'm planning to install today on the GT750, I've been very satisfied with the one I got on my T350 also from him. I also found it very easy to deal with Marcel and that convinced me to stick with his system. (Was thinking about newtronics since it is cheaper).
robert campbell
Around the block

I just looked at the Marcel electronic ignition system. I take it that this system is not the Newtronic or the Boysen? His own design? Looks like it has its own plate so you do not need to butcher the orginal?

Looks good to me from thousands of miles away! Any more thoughts on this one?

Rob
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

robert campbell wrote: I take it that this system is not the Newtronic or the Boysen? His own design?

Correct
robert campbell wrote: Looks like it has its own plate so you do not need to butcher the orginal?
Correct also - but its more than the plate (which you don't have to butcher if you don't want to - see above). There are the mods to the wiring harness - with Boyer you either have to make up your own bit of harness, or splice into the existing one. With Newtronics, no plate mods are required, and it has all the correct connections so no wiring mods either. I'm not familiar with the others as to what re-wiring may or may not be required, but I'm sure others will jump in ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
robert campbell
Around the block

Ian,
My brother and I are very talented in the wiring area. But plug and play sounds like the way to go! The difference in price between the Boysen, Newtronic, and the Marcel is not worth mentioning IMO.

Looks like I will run the Newtronic unit down. Thanks again!!

Rob
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

robert campbell wrote:Ian,
My brother and I are very talented in the wiring area. But plug and play sounds like the way to go! The difference in price between the Boysen, Newtronic, and the Marcel is not worth mentioning IMO.

Looks like I will run the Newtronic unit down. Thanks again!!

Rob
Here's what I found HVC $220.99 plus shipping. I guess that's about the best deal going.......................

http://www.hvccycle.com/Electronic%20Ignition.htm
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2