'70 T500 w/no title

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

I have used ITS before and it worked as promised although I had to double check the returned documents as the "seller's" signature was not on the bill of sale as it was supposed to be. It's worked a couple of times for me - the last being 2-3 years ago. I have heard that many states are no longer allowing ITS documents through, but I have not had that happen to me personally. The cost was $75 each time but ITS has increased the cost of their service.

Jim
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

Good info.

I have no title for my GT550 so I'll have to either use a title service or go with a bonded title. Title service looks a lot easier.

A friend of mine tried to use a title service on a Harley Sprint a few years ago but they rejected it because the bike had been previously listed in Colorado and was still in the DMV computers! A title search would have revealed that, but the title search causes the bike's vin to be flagged in the DMV database and they demand a lot of detailed information about where you acquired the bike, so doing a title search pretty much rules out using the title service.

Another friend gambled and successfully used ITS to register an old BSA. He did NOT request the title search, he just brought in the paperwork and said as little as possible.

I thought that's what I would do when it's registration time...

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

debby wrote:Good info.

I have no title for my GT550 so I'll have to either use a title service or go with a bonded title. Title service looks a lot easier.

A friend of mine tried to use a title service on a Harley Sprint a few years ago but they rejected it because the bike had been previously listed in Colorado and was still in the DMV computers! A title search would have revealed that, but the title search causes the bike's vin to be flagged in the DMV database and they demand a lot of detailed information about where you acquired the bike, so doing a title search pretty much rules out using the title service.

Another friend gambled and successfully used ITS to register an old BSA. He did NOT request the title search, he just brought in the paperwork and said as little as possible.

I thought that's what I would do when it's registration time...

Debby
I should probably qualify my response - I have never used ITS for a bike sourced in state to avoid the VIN popping up in the database. The NJDMV would gladly deny me a title transfer if the VIN was in their system already just as they will NOT do a VIN search either. If I ever need a title for a bike/frame sourced in state, I'll be selling it cheap to a friend outside the state to buy it back later for the transfer...

Jim
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

debby,
all I needed to provide the Staab agency was a signed an dated bill of sale, proof of insurance and a notarized power of attorney form . This is so they have legal possession of the bike. In Maine, no bikes are titled over 25 years old. So what you get is a Maine registration in their name as the owner and you as the buyer.
Take this to the DMV and ask for a title. They will argue about it until you remind them there are no titles issued in Maine on old bikes. So the fill out a requisition for title and submit it to the state. You get a title in the mail in a few days. Now all that's left is to provided the DMV with proof of insurance and buy a tag.
When it comes time to sell the bike, you have a title!!