Project GT750 "Special"

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

2STROKECAFE
On the street

Project GT750 "Special"

Post by 2STROKECAFE »

Guys,
I wanted to share some pics of my GT750 "Special" project. It is part 73' GT750, part 86' GSXR750 but all Suzuki. Progress has been slow but it is starting to take shape (but far from done - still need to sort out the swingarm bushings/shock mounts/brake stabilizer/rear-sets & lots more). Many of the ideas I am attempting with my project were gleaned from the work of others (ie. SuzukiDave, Ogri, Coyote, etc.) on this board & for that I am really thankful. Hopefully sharing my project will keep both myself e & others motivated & in the garage (or in my case - basement) throughout the winter. I'd love to hear your comments.
Thanks & take care,
Bryan

Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

Very nice, I had originally intended to go the 86 GSXR route on my suspension but I had the GS1150E front end and the 17" rims and the GS1100 swingarm so my direction is similar but different. Look forward to seeing more pics.
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

How do you like those Marzocchi shocks? Have you ridden them on anything?

I've got a set I had planned to put on my GT550 but they need new seals. Does anyone know where to get them re-built?
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I have been told that Moto GUzzi dealers can get Marzocchi rebuild kits, but I can't confirm it.

The project looks like a great start. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Last I checked, you can get rebuild kits from Marzocchi USA in California:

Marzocchi Technical Department
25213 Anza Drive
Valencia CA 91355
techinfo@marzocchiusa.com
p 661 257 6630
f 661 257 6636

www.marzocchi.com (http://www.marzocchi.com)

Not sure where you can get the nitrogen to repressurize them but maybe Marzocchi sells a kit for that as well.

Jim
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Thanks guys,

I sent an email to Marzocchi and am waiting to hear back. Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

Jason
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

Did that swingarm bolt right into your frame?

(I had to make my swingarm bolt holes a bit larger to fit a GS aluminum swingarm into a 1972 frame)
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Arne wrote:Did that swingarm bolt right into your frame?

(I had to make my swingarm bolt holes a bit larger to fit a GS aluminum swingarm into a 1972 frame)
Do you keep the GS swinger the stock length?
So many Projects - So little time
2STROKECAFE
On the street

Post by 2STROKECAFE »

Guys,
Thanks for the comments.
- Jaybob, I haven't ridden on the Marzocchi's yet. I have read of others that liked them, they were a Ebay purchase that I made for not too much. I think they came off of a GS1100. I was also contemplating a set of ZRX shocks like OGRI used but thought I would try these first. Please let me know how things turn out with the rebuild kit. These look like will be fine as is but you never know.

Arne -
I had to cut down the swingarm pivot a little on each side to make it fit. I still need to have a set of bushings fabricated to make it work. The OD of the new bushings will be around 30mm with an ID of 22mm to use the GT's swingarm bolt. I also have to fabricate some lower shock mounts & have them welded to the swingarm. I did shorten the swingarm length around 4", it looked a bit too much like a drag bike when I did my first mockup. I also cut out the mono shock mount & will have to have a brace added when I get the shock mounts welded.

After I get the swingarm finished I will start working on the sprocket alignment issues I am sure to have.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Take care,
Bryan
2STROKECAFE
On the street

Post by 2STROKECAFE »

Here's a pic of my original mock up. I ended up cutting off around 3-4 inches from the swingarm. I made my cut right at the swingarm edge of the existing axle cutout in the swingarm & then made new cutouts with a dremel & hand files.

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

when i was trying to decide which direction to go when beginning the yellow GTX-R project i first looked at useing the early GSXR parts . Image Image
the older i get the faster i was
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Very cool Bryan! I'm likin' the bike!

Here is a rough drawing of my solution for the swingarm bushings..

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Tim,

I must have been mind reading when I slipped a 2001 GSXR swingarm into mine - I did the same thing (except I can't draw).
2STROKECAFE
On the street

Post by 2STROKECAFE »

Ogri,
Thanks so much for the compliment. The Mighty Buffalo is a beautiful machine & has definitely been a source of motivation for me. Your drawing has me rethinking my plans. My original plan was to use the GT shaft & spacers & have a machine shop make up some bronze bushings. The OD of the bushing to matching the ID of the GSXR pivot pipe & the ID to match the OD of the spacers. Thanks for sharing, it certainly gives me another option. Once I figure out what I'm going to do I'll post up some pictures.
Take care,
Bryan
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

tz375 wrote:Tim,

I must have been mind reading when I slipped a 2001 GSXR swingarm into mine - I did the same thing (except I can't draw).
Richard , i was thinking you did yours like i did mine .. a little different than Tim .. Dave
the older i get the faster i was