First real ride on my Buffalo

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

First real ride on my Buffalo

Post by MikeH1A »

Last weekend, I took my big girl out for her first real ride. This was the first time I've done any distance on one of these since around 1974 :D Although I've owned the Waterbus (as we call them in NZ) for several months, I've really just been tinkering and pulling things apart. So, my initial impressions:

I love the big size, I'm 6' 1" and found the height and width to be perfect. The bulk of it feels so reassuring and real. The bike handled well (after I changed the hideously high bars the PO had on her) and just seemd to purr along. The exhaust note is pleasant with just a hint of sportiness. I was impressed with the easy way she just lopes along (with no sense of distress to the motor) and yet will jump forward smartly with a twist of the throttle. The seat is sooo comfy and the bike gives the feel that she could be ridden for hours on end.

In comparison to my T500 and Mach III, this baby has a lot to offer. She seems a good all round machine that sorta exudes a potential for reliability. The T500 feels and looks so small beside the Buffalo and there is an understandable gap in performance. The Mach III is obviously designed for much different things and is such a different bike - it has a rawness that I have always loved whereas the GT seems a tad more sophisticated. With the Kwaka and big Suzuki, it feels like I've got most of my riding moods covered now!

So, only one good run under my belt with the Waterbus but I am truly a convert :up: :up: Still a lot to do to her to bring her back to former glory but that should be fun. She is a beautiful looking bike and I'm glad to have finally tracked down a "J" model and think I will be keeping her for quite some time.

Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Re: First real ride on my Buffalo

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Mike.
Your comments really bring some memories back. I graduated to a J Buffalo in the summer of 72, from none other than a Mach III. I'm also 6'1", and the GT continues to impress with its road manners and abilities to this day. The power is not of the caliber of the Kawasaki, but the torque availability at almost all revs, is what makes it a great road bike, even by todays standards. When was the last time a Kaw ever saw over 55 MPG imp. Mine does quite reliably. I look forward to more saddle time on the old girl, once the cosmetic situation is resolved. I know you will enjoy, and learn to love yours, Mike. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: First real ride on my Buffalo

Post by H2RICK »

Mike, I'm glad to hear you've got her on the road and are enjoying the ride.
whereas the GT seems a tad more sophisticated
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A tad ??? You've got the typical Brit understatement thing going there.
"Sophistication" and "Kawasaki triple" are mutually exclusive in my experience. :wink:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer