1975 gt250

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

markdam
Still in the Driveway

1975 gt250

Post by markdam »

banging my head :(

set the float level BRAND new old stock petcock why am i dumping a ton of fuel through the left cyl?
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Re: 1975 gt250

Post by Barry S. »

Do you have the petcock on prime? It can flood if it is or the float needle is stuck.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
h2okettle
On the main road

Post by h2okettle »

Mark, the answer Barry gave about the needle stuck or possibly a piece of trash under the needle allowing fuel to not shut off is probably the problem.. If you have the air box off, you can fire up the engine. Rev it to about 4-5K RPM and as it gets to the rpm place a rag over the back of the carb of the flooding cylinder choking off the air and still holding the throttle open for a couple seconds.. This will create a vacuum and if it is just a piece of trash holding the needle open, it will suck it through.. I have had to do this on the road a few times.. If not then pull the carb and I would first make sure the float does not have any gas in it.. Its also possible the float has a small crack allowing fuel to seep in.. Even if the level is correct, any fuel in the float will keep it from rising high enough to shut off the fuel... If not this then possibly the needle and seat need to be changed.
Good luck !!

Allen..... GT rideaholic
Last edited by h2okettle on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markdam
Still in the Driveway

Post by markdam »

yep thats what i was afraid of :?

oh well off she comes to check needle seat and check floats for cracks/floatation......